Thread: Grizzly 12" jointer G0609(X) owners. After some time still happy?

Grizzly 12" jointer G0609(X) owners. After some time still happy?

Good morning,

I done some searches recently regarding the Grizzly 12" jointers (specifically G0609 and G0609X) and have seen a number of threads that were 8 months - 2yrs old, but not much since. I am looking for information from these owners who have now had the machine for a period of time and gotten use out of them. I am also still in the debate about the spiral cutter, it isn't too much more money, but is it worth it?

Do you still like it? Are you happy with your purchase? Would you do it again? Does it still work as it did new?

As of yet, I do not own any Grizzly equipment but I am becoming open to the idea because of many positive reviews here on the Creek.

Thanks for the help!
    NWB
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

I have the Shopfox version which I believe is the same as Grizzly. I am more then pleased with it. Really like the size it is nice to take and flatten a 10 or 11 inch board. Just the other day I was looking at an 8 inch and can't believe how small it looks. Mine is flat and square and the spiral l cutter does a nice job. Its very smooth and quiet with the spiral cutter....passes the nickle test.
    I don't really have any issues or complaints it does what it is suppose to do the beds are finished nicely. For the money I don,t think you have any other choice the big name brands are at least twice as much for a 12 inch.

3. Quote Originally Posted by NICK BARBOZA View Post
    Good morning,

I am also still in the debate about the spiral cutter, it isn't too much more money, but is it worth it?

NWB
    If you order that machine get the spiral cutterhead version. You will not regret it.

Nice plug!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    If you order that machine get the spiral cutterhead version. You will not regret it.

Now thats a Salesman!!! Thanks Shiraz!
    Seriously though, this is a prime example of why I am considering your products. The fact that you frequent this community and stand behind your product is very reassuring for a prospective buyer.
    Thanks again!
    Nick
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

I went round and round on spiral heads and finally bit the bullet and bought them for the 12 inch jointer and 20 inch planer, no regrets just do it and be happy no more blade sharpening worries or adjustment and much quieter not to mention a nice cut

I can't speak for that model jointer, but spiral heads are the cat's meow. I put a Byrd in my jointer and couldn't be happier. Never again do I have to fiddle with changing/adjusting knives, and I don't cringe at the thought of sending a piece of plywood or MDF over it.

I have the G0609 and added a Byrd head to it.

My only complaint is the fence is not as strong as I think it should be. I spend a lot of time squaring it. I would like to see Grizzly change this to the Delta version of the fence.

Other than that, I have had it for two years and it works good, and it is priced considerably less than the competition.

When it showed up, the motor screamed pretty loud. A replacement was sent out to me, but it went away after I installed the Byrd. It made this noise without the belt installed, so it must be motor bearings--so I have the replacement motor ready to go when needed. No hassles and a quick shipment from Grizzly regarding the motor--fantastic customer service.

I'll be selling it soon--I am planning to aquire a Felder j/p or a Mini-Max F1 jointer in the near future.

BTW, I will only use spiral cutterheads on my machines from now on.

I own the Delta and have touched the Shop Fox and Grizzlys. I am not sure how you could ever not love these machines. They are fantastic. All I have is the straight blades and have never known the sweetness of the spirals. I am happy with my DJ30. I have a three phase version with an AC Drive and love the smooth starts and stops.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I bought the Grizzly 12" jointer/planer with spiral cutterhead. It leaves detectable tool marks that must be scraped or sanded out. But the marks are more uniform and much easier to deal with than the wavy stuff that even a well-tuned set of planer knives leaves.

I have had my jointer/planer for about 3 months, and have milled about 100 bf of white oak.

My only complaint (and it's really a whine!) is that I had to pull out the 20 amp circuit I put in for my TS, and pull in a 30 amp circuit because the jointer/planer has a 5 hp motor.

I love it.

I have the G9860ZX 12" Z Series Jointer w/ Spiral Cutter head and love it. I have had this machine this machine for 2 years and it continues to be pleasure to use.

No regrets after 14 months.

No adjustments required from the factory.

I use mine for teak and mahogany. I have not rotated the cutters as yet.

The Grizz head has inserts with straight edges so it does not leave scallop marks on the surface being machined.

MK

I've had Grizzly's 12" Jointer and 20" Planer almost a year now. Both of them have Grizzly's spiral head. They are both great machines.

The Jointer was very fast to set up and has stayed perfectly square. I have put approximately 300 - 400 board feet of red and white oak through them and could not be happier.

I did a couple of threads complete with pictures on the machines when I first got them if your interested in doing a search on my name.

I thought about getting a planer/jointer combo for a while but I'm glad I didn't. The seperate machines are just better for me and the way I work.

Definately get the spiral cutter head.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK BARBOZA View Post
    I am also still in the debate about the spiral cutter, it isn't too much more money, but is it worth it?
    G0490X owner here. Go with the spiral, you won't regret it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by NICK BARBOZA View Post
    Good morning,

Do you still like it? Are you happy with your purchase? Would you do it again? Does it still work as it did new?
    After one year with the G0609X all I can say is YES, YES, YES!

-- Phil

spiral head the only way to go

Also a new owner of the 0490X. After fiddling with knives on the previous jointer, the helix head is the only way to go. Perfect alignment after unpacking. Super performance.

That 12" will be heavy. Have a good way of handling it.

Good luck.