Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help find studs in plaster walls

I take a finish nailer, hold back the nose and shoot nails into the wall without touching the nose to the wall, maybe 3/4" away. The nails will go in flush until you come to a stud, and then they will stick out because the stud stopped them. There is your stud. You do it where you are going to cover it obviously, so there is no visible marks.

I have not found a stud finder that will work on lathe and plaster, I assume because of the density of the wall. This method takes a little getting used to but has worked for me for years. Nails are cheap. Time is not.

The other solution that I use ocasionally is to run a board with a complimentary profile around the room first that is heavily fastened, usually with screws, where it will be hidden by the crown/cove that is put on over it. That way I have a constant nailer just where I need it, and it adds a nice detail if done correctly.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 08-09-2009 at 10:46 AM.

+1 on using a drill with a small bit as a probe. Just be sure what you're hitting is a stud or corner bracing and not the wooden lath. You'll be able to "feel" when you hit a stud, or at least you'll see wood on the end of the drill bit. Much easier and less messy than a sawzall.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Why cut the slot? Use a drill as a probe. Make a line where the chair rail will eventually go. Drill holes through the plaster along it. When you poke through the plaster+lath into air, that feels very different from poking through into a stud. Mark where you find studs. Use found studs to give you an estimate about where to find the next one.

I agree with using a small drill and "drill baby drill". I also find the nail gun method interesting althiough I think drilling is faster..

You mentioned the house is 90 years old. We refurbed our old house but tore off all the plaster/lathe so I can appreciate your comment that there seems to be no consistent spacing of studs. In our house I don't think there were any two the same. They ranged fron 12 inches to 36 inches. There was no plywood back then so uniform spacing didn't seem to matter. The other thing in our house was that the studs were full size 2x4, not the dressed studs of today.

My last house was plaster and lath, full 2x4 oak studs, 24" O.C. Offset from the studs 12" were 1x4 nailers (they weren't nailed to the top and bottom plates). I only discovered this because I gutted one room of the plaster and lath. Never again will I willingly own a plaster and lath house.

I did get a good Zircon stud finder that worked quite well--it had a "deep scan" mode that you activated by double-clicking the button, holding it down on the second click, then drag it across the wall as normal. It worked very well, ignoring the plaster and lath, and hitting all the studs. The only downside was that it would sense wires and plumbing in the deep-scan mode as well, so you had to pay attention to that possibility.

With modern stick-frame and drywall construction, I just knock on the wall with a knuckle in a very consistent manner. There is a slight sound difference when you knock over a stud versus a cavity. That, or I may remove a receptacle coverplate and probe next to it to find a stud and measure or knock from there. Sometimes even looking at the wall at a shallow angle I can find the drywall screws. Or, I carry a telescoping magnet in my pocket, and in a pinch, I can use it like a pendulum to hit on the drywall screws.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

the base coat of that plaster is pushed through the lath so that it dries around and between it. that's the only thing holding the wall up. if you go knocking it loose in wholesale fashion by cutting the wall, you can have a wall go 'whomp' on you.

plaster isn't as delicate as drywall, but cutting and banging on it isn't really a good idea . as old and dry as it likely is it'll easily break loose in chunks if you do violent things to it.

Blog Entries
    If you have a metal detector you can use that instead of the stud finder to locate the nails used to attach the lathe to the studs. Once you get a reading, make a mark with a pencil or chalk and then work up and down from that mark you should be able to locate the stud then the rest should be on 16" centers from there.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My brother had a old house and you could see the ends of the studs in the basement as they used to balloon frame house. Stud went 2 stories and at the bottom they were nailed to the floor joist. Really old ones didn't even have fire stops. Old plaster is very fragile so don't tap too hard. If you do have a basement and can see the studs then find out where a outlet might be and measure the spacing from there. I always hated working on that old house. Try a magnet stud finder (something like this http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-47-400.../dp/B0000BYD3K), I had to use one at my brothers newer house, one of the previous owners put another layer of sheetrock and the stud finder was inacurate so I used the magnet one to verify the location.

I lived in a 1901 home for 12 years and replaced almost all of the junk trim with the nice Victorian stuff (that is a technical term). Here is what you need for your projects:

1. Liquid nails paneling and molding (LNP&M)
    2. A brad gun for small trim
    3. A Finnish gun for larger trim
    4. Lite-weight Spackle (it has the consistency of whipped cream and dries hard like chalk) from HD ow Lowes - sold in the paint section (with liquid nails)
    5. Caulking

First off, plaster walls will vary in thickness, a lot. All of your molding will need more holding power than your nails or brads will be able to provide (with or without the studs). Simply apply a a bead or two of the LNP&M and nail off your trim. The nails will provide the holding power while the LNP&M dries.

If you do not follow my instructions - I'll have an 'I told you so' waiting for you when your molding pulls away from the wall even though you spent 2 days locating all of the studs.

What about renting one of those thermal cameras... I'd bet the temperature delta between the studs and the studs is pretty abrupt. Never tried it, just trying to think outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Rodriquez View Post
    I lived in a 1901 home for 12 years and replaced almost all of the junk trim with the nice Victorian stuff (that is a technical term). Here is what you need for your projects:

1. Liquid nails paneling and molding (LNP&M)
    2. A brad gun for small trim
    3. A Finnish gun for larger trim
    4. Lite-weight Spackle (it has the consistency of whipped cream and dries hard like chalk) from HD ow Lowes - sold in the paint section (with liquid nails)
    5. Caulking

First off, plaster walls will vary in thickness, a lot. All of your molding will need more holding power than your nails or brads will be able to provide (with or without the studs). Simply apply a a bead or two of the LNP&M and nail off your trim. The nails will provide the holding power while the LNP&M dries.

If you do not follow my instructions - I'll have an 'I told you so' waiting for you when your molding pulls away from the wall even though you spent 2 days locating all of the studs.
    the alternative to this is trim head screws. they do have the holding power, but you are correct that the typical 15 guage finish nail shot from a gun they sell these days doesn't even come close to being able to hold large old moldings on the wall.

been there, done that, made the trip to the dump .

another alternative, which might be a good one when you cost estimate all of this work is...

1) do as much damage to the plaster as you need to as far as drilling and such goes, in the meantime live with the holes in the walls. don't be rough with it, but make holes where necessary and while you're at it, if you find any loose spots, drive a drywall screw in around those spots to tighten it up.

2) when you're done, and all of your trim is how you want it, hire a plasterer to come in and re-skim the walls.

the above is the "old way". they had no caulk centuries ago. the method for sealing the trim was the trim was put up over the base coat(s), and the finish coat was put up with the trim in place, so that the plasterer sealed the trim. this isn't really a major ordeal, any plasterer can skim the walls of a 3-4 thousand square foot house in a few days. therefore the bill won't be astronomically high, you're probably looking at few thousand bucks, maybe less depending on the size of the house. the benefit is it'll be done in an authentic way, if that means anything to you, and the 'dirty work' the plasterer will do, so you don't have to mess with it. all you'll have to do is prime and paint after he's gone.

this is the method i've taken with salvaging ruined trim in my house. i knock wallpaper and drywall loose with pretty much reckless abandon. if there are loose spots, i pull it up with screws to solidify it. the old dead skim coat my helper scrapes off with a big honkin siding scraper. then we put the trim back over the rough walls, and i have a plasterer come in and re-skim everything, and let him deal with the sealing and the leveling. once that's done it can all be finished/painted. last time i had my plasterers out here they did the entire upstairs of the house's ceilings, took them to lunch time over two days and cost me about 2200 bucks. considering i would've spent a month doing that work and another two months of back pain after, whereas they can even do a little dance on those stilts if you ask nice, it's money well spent.
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 08-10-2009 at 7:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have a Zircon. It is supposed to be a stud finder. The problem with it is that a live electric circuit in the wall sets the damned thing off and it is useless. Save your money.

That's an easy one. Beat it repeatedly with a sledge-hammer until the plaster is completely removed. What's left would be the studs.

my suggestions is to look real close at the baseboards. most of the time the top nails in base board are nailed into the studs. just find the nails and level up and try a test nail. it has work for me on severl occasions

good luck

kendall

So many great ideas here, some of which I can use on this particular project, others I can use when I do the next room. Thanks, guys!

Regards,

John
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Quote Originally Posted by William Falberg View Post
    That's an easy one. Beat it repeatedly with a sledge-hammer until the plaster is completely removed. What's left would be the studs.
    blasphemer .

here's what i found in one my ceilings upstairs for a good example in this argument.

a 20 or 30 year leak. at some point a humidifier was put on the upstairs A/C, and it had been steadily dripping every few minutes for decades. after scraping the loose stuff and a new skim coat, and 4 coats of kilz to get rid of the stain, the plaster is fine.

what would drywall look like after a few years of water leaks? not that good, that's for sure...
    Attached Images Attached Images