Thread: Towel Chest from Red Elm and Ash

Towel Chest from Red Elm and Ash

Here's my first project of the season. It's a towel chest for our bathroom made mainly of red elm. The doors and drawer sides are ash. The drawer has handcut dovetails, the sides are frame and panel...nothing too fancy. The stain is a combination of golden oak, cherry, and early American. Some of the pics look a bit more red than it really is...the pics of the top and dovetails are more realistic of the actual color.

Last edited by scott spencer; 08-09-2009 at 9:59 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    Scott - that is a fantastic looking piece! Not sure what else I can say other than Nice Work!!!!

Very nice, Scott. I like the arch on top of the cabinet door and that is a very nice piece of grain on the drawer fronts. It's been a long time since I have seen elm used on a piece. The finish is very nice.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Beautiful

Great job!

Great work Scott,
    I loved the color. Can you possibly post the exact proportions of the 3 stains you used?

Great work Scott,
    I love the color. Could you possibly post the exact proportations of the 3 stains you used?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pritchett View Post
    Great work Scott,
    I loved the color. Can you possibly post the exact proportions of the 3 stains you used?
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

Jim - The process was no where near scientific enough to use as a guide. It was purely trial and error. I had a color in mind that I was trying to achieve that was kind of a cross between golden oak and early American. I basically used Minwax spray golden oak, then noted the big color differences and reached for a combination of early American and cherry stain. Elm has some good natural red color but also has a lot of color variation that includes some brown and pronounced blond areas, so different boards required a different mix to get them to blend the way I wanted. The ash also stains differently than elm and took more cherry to get it close.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Very nice job ! I like that ash !
    MARK

Very nice! Elm has such a unique grain pattern, and in a piece like this, it really shows well and blends nicely with the ash.

Beautiful!!!

Jim

Outstanding !
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Inspiring!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Scott --

There are many beautiful little details in this cabinet -- terrific work! It's quite a show piece.......

Beautiful. I love the piece as a whole, but of it all, I really like the feet. I know that may sound kinda wierd, but I love how they accentuate it. Anyone that hand cuts dovetails is an inspiration to me. Great work.
    Please try to explain what you think you don't understand!!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Young View Post
    Beautiful. I love the piece as a whole, but of it all, I really like the feet. I know that may sound kinda wierd, but I love how they accentuate it. Anyone that hand cuts dovetails is an inspiration to me. Great work.
    Todd - You and my wife must think alike. I was uncertain about whether or not to include the feet. My wife (who usually takes forever to make a decision), took one brief look and gave the feet a nod and a smile.

Thanks...