Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: The Kitchen Project

I am EXHAUSTED!

I couldn't have pulled this off without help from a number of people. Everything from advise here and from elsewhere--help with materials--help sanding--and so on. One friend especially spent 3 Saturdays helping out in my shop and with the actual install as well as a number of things like picking things up for me and using his drum and widebelt sanders and loaning me his double router table.

Matt, it turned out great!

I'm sure you, and your parents are very pleased with it.

Regards, Rod.

Really...Really...Really nice job Matt.
    You even got to use the clamps in at least a couple of places.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Excellent... love the finish as it brightens up the day which usually starts in the kitchen...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Nice work Matt, I'm sure your parents are proud and happy, was a fun post to follow along.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    Really...Really...Really nice job Matt.
    You even got to use the clamps in at least a couple of places.
    Yes, those got used a few times and were very handy. Thanks for your generous offer to use them!

Matt - fantastic work! The cabinets are all stunning, and the installation looks top-notch. Thank you again for posting your project start-to-finish. I've read it a few times, and plan to read it all over again now that you've crossed the 'finish line'.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Been a while since I posted any updates because there hasn't been much going on while waiting for the counters to be fabricated. They went in Monday morning so yesterday the tile went in, today it was grouted and the plumbers came today. A friend of mine is going over tomorrow to finish up a bunch of details on the cabinets for me since my schedule is hectic. Friday they seal the grout and then its done other than the crown molding I need to make.

The one thing my dad really wanted was a gas stove which my mom has been really opposed to. The night we finished installing the cabinets she decided to give in and get that for my dad for Christmas and my brothers and I are chipping in what we would have spent on Christmas gifts for them. Since the electrician had to install the outlet last week we figured that my dad would think something was up, but no. Then today while he was out they actually installed the gas line and the stove. Took him a while to even notice it I guess but he's pretty excited.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, kind of embarrassing but I finally finished up the trim this weekend. What a major pain as the ceiling is seriously out of level and there wasn't height or budget to fix that when they did the remodel. I first installed a 3/4x3/4 spacer over all the doors, then applied the main molding which is a simple cove with a lot of space above to allow scribing to the ceiling. As I did each piece I cut it to approximate length then cut a bevel on the top back to make it easier to plane away the excess. Take a look at the piece to the left of the stove to see just how bad some spots were.

Also, note the color change in the cherry after one year.

After a year, I still can't find anything in this kitchen after living with or visiting the old one since I was 5 years old.

IMG_0054.jpgIMG_0048.jpgIMG_0047.jpgIMG_0053.jpg
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 12-19-2010 at 7:27 PM.

My what a lot of dustables... Y'know I never figured "Meiser" for a dutch name, but that looks like dutch on the plaque in the 2nd photo...

Oh yeah, great job, by the way, and yeah that ceiling is horribly out of whack. Good thing you will never notice it... Now I'm going to have to go back and look at the earlier posts, as I'm trying to figure out how you did that corner behind the sink.
    "It's Not About You."

Uh...no comment on the stuff Mom got the dutch plaque from someone in the Netherlands when she did a teacher exchange there.

The shelf in the corner was my mom's idea but I had nothing to do with it. Its supported by a 2x4 framework screwed to the walls after the main counter was set from what I understand. The counter people had never done anything like it but it turned out nice. The original plan was for the front to be stone but the contractor came up with the idea to tile it which is nice.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 12-19-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Matt, you did a wonderful version.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    My what a lot of dustables... Y'know I never figured "Meiser" for a dutch name, but that looks like dutch on the plaque in the 2nd photo...
    Art...With a name like Mulder, it would be hard to deny your own Dutch heritage. (says the black kettle of the pot)

Great job on the Kitchen , Matt
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"