Thread: Wm. Tyzack & Sons back saw

Cool Wm. Tyzack & Sons back saw

Hi all! I'm not really a Neander but I do admire the tools & techniques used by Neanders. I picked this saw up at an auction last year - I think I paid around $5 for it Sorry the pics not the best.

I have not been able to find too much info on this saw - some generic Wm. Tyzack info. It's was made in sheffield Eng. & man does it feel nice to hold. I think it needs a good sharpening but that's going to wait till I can spare the $$. I would appreciate if anyone knows any info about the saw & whether it's worth any real $$ - If it is I might have to start calling myself a collector
    I also picked up a bunch of other stuff at the same auction for good prices. I got an older stanley miter saw box (the metal one), A couple of #4 planes, a stanley#90 marking gauge, 2 rabbitting planes, a couple of egg beater drills and a few other odds & ends.
    I never wanted to post on the neander forum of the pond because I really don't know much about it - but I figured I'd go ahead here while it's still small - besides I want to get to 30 posts so I can get promoted in member status
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Sweeney; 02-15-2003 at 8:44 PM.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

I think they are made by Thomas Flinn sawmakers but ats I am going through there catalog I can't find them listed check out there web site www.flinn-garlick-saw.co.uk to find out for sure. I know that there saws cost more than $5 new yours looks nice.

Tyzak Back saw

Tom, I bought a Tyzak saw in the mid eighties from some woodworking store in Conn. while on a road trip. I still use it, even fact I just cut half blind dovetails the other day for vanity drawers in curly maple. I don't know of the resale value, but I find the saw invaluable. I think I paid $30-40 dollars back then?
    This is my first post, looking forward to communicating with all of you.
    bill

Smile Thanks guys

Ernie - it's great to see you here
    I'll check out the link. The saw really does feel nice. I've only tried it a few times & like I said I think it needs sharpened - it has a real fine tooth count & set. Hopefully I'll learn some Nenader techniques down the road.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

They used to be sold by Woodcraft and lots of others in the 70's and 80's. Top of the line saw available at the time. Mine are still in daily use.
    Gentleman Jim

Ernie,

Tried the link a couple of time without success. But hey, I'm persistent if nothing else.
    Thomas Finn Sawmakers should work.

I was able to find both a rip and crosscut "Lynx" saw by Garlick & Sons for 10 bucks each at a garage sale (same one I got a DeWalt RAS). Nice saws.

Chris

Blog Entries
    I believe I have the same saw. I am not sure if mine use to belong to my dad or was a gift. 20 or 22 tpi I think.