Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocking Horse

Rocking Horse

I have seen several very nice examples of this same rocking horse posted here in the past. Here is my version, built for my first Grandson. It's made with maple and walnut, finished with Arm-R-Seal. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you can't fix it, feature it."
    Kevin Swindle

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Thanks for Sharing Kev. Very Nice!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Very nice horse, and I'm sure he'll love it - but wouldn't it be easier for him to climb up on it if it had foot rests?

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hovde
    Very nice horse, and I'm sure he'll love it - but wouldn't it be easier for him to climb up on it if it had foot rests?

Bob
    Bob, Thanks for your kind comments and yes it could use some foot rests. I just haven't figured out a good way to add them. They were not part of the original plan and adding them now without making it look like an after-thought has been a challenge.
    Kevin Swindle

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Swindle
    Bob, Thanks for your kind comments and yes it could use some foot rests. I just haven't figured out a good way to add them. They were not part of the original plan and adding them now without making it look like an after-thought has been a challenge.
    You could duplicate the handle posts with a slightly larger dowel through the front shoulders.

Bob

Very nice Kevin.....
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Very nice.
    I have made the same horse a couple of times.

I am sure it will be enjoy it for many years.

-dan

Three years ago, I made a rocking horse that looks very much like yours for my graddaughter Isla. We appear to have used the same plan. Isla's was constructed from walnut and pine.

I am happy to report that the rocking horse has had a lot of use. Here is a picture of Isla's brother Ethan using it this afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice rocking horse Kevin, they make nice gifts for the grand children.I'v made several smaller ones.
    Earl

Very nice.

I've never built a horsie, but I think I'm gonna do it just to put in the living room to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Swindle
    Kevin,

Frank's picture has a better solution for foot rests than my dowel suggestion. The step bar on the rockers is a better place for climbing up.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hovde
    Kevin,

Frank's picture has a better solution for foot rests than my dowel suggestion. The step bar on the rockers is a better place for climbing up.

Bob
    Yes the step seems to work quite well. I made the step so that, if we ever wanted to remove it, then it would be quite easy to do so. I can provide details if you would like me to.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 09-17-2004 at 9:53 AM.

Foot Rests

Kevin,

I've had the same question asked as to the foot rest. Pegs would be OK but kids have a tendency to grow. The step idea above is a good one. I've thought about adding some leather stirrups with snaps which would make it adjustable. I'm just not sure how to do it yet?

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Yes the step seems to work quite well. I made the step so that, if we ever wanted to remove it, then it would be quite easy to do so. I can provide details if you would like me to.
    Thanks Frank, I would appreciate details on your footrest. I have thought of something similar but I like your idea of having it removable.
    Kevin Swindle

Kevin, looks like another satisfied grandchild is going to be riding off into the sunset whistling "Happy Trails..." Seriously, nice job with this one. The wood selection makes it look just right. Thanks for sharing.