Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favourite Plane

Lee Valley bevel up jack, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    I don't own any LN or Veritas planes to turn to, but always enjoy using my Record 05-1/2 with a Lee Valley blade.
    Scott,
    That is a good combination-but if you can get hold of a StaySet back iron it will also make a difference-as much as the Lv blade.

Definitely my Millers Falls 14.

It's the goto plane for jointing on small runs, general smoothing (iron corners are relieved slightly), and shooting board jobs.

I had no idea how good MF planes are. We don't see too many of them here in Australia.

Still looking for a Norris or a Spiers at garage sales though...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    I guess my favs are the bedrock 605 with an A2 blade, stanley 10 and the LV LA block plane with the handle on the back. The two stanleys have not had any tuning by me except for the A2 blade but they both sing when used over pretty much any grain, especially the bedrock. I have heaps of other planes like low angles, asian... but the two stanleys are the best in my stable and then the block comes up as the one that fills in where the other two can't. The handle on the block really extends its functionality but it doesn't do difficult grain well. And if that weren't enough they're my cheapest purchases by far. The A2 blade cost more than the bedrock. But! don't in anyway think I'm bagging anyone that has the real high end gear. I say if you can afford it go for it - someones got to give this economy a kick start. And I'm sure they're a treat to use also.

Holy Toledo! Just as I was writing this we had a lightning strike just outside the house. I thought at first something hit the house. I think I'll wait till the morning to have a look at what got smoked. I'm hoping it's the 86 corolla I drive that took the hit...

The tv is also rolling across a warning that it's gonna get worse in the next half hour: very high winds, hail and an even more intense light show. Maybe I should go out and put the antenna up on the corolla...
    Just curious if you got the lightning rod up on the Corolla in time to catch a bolt?

My favorite plane is my Norris A5, BTW.

Currently?

The #4 Stanley handyman I just turned into a scrub plane. Man that thing works nice!

Other than that, probably a small wooden shoulder plane I made a a little over a year ago.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Here's another of my favourite planes, the Veritas LA Smoother.

This #4-sized smoother tends to be forgotten as it is overshadowed by the reputation of its bigger sibling, the BU Smoother. However the LAS is a remarkable plane. A superb smoother on difficult grain and an excellent tool for the shooting board.

I was using it yesterday to finish panels of Tasmanian Oak. This wood is medium hard and has striations of reversed softwood which tear out easily. The LAS did a wonderful job using a 62 degree cutting angle.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Just curious if you got the lightning rod up on the Corolla in time to catch a bolt?

My favorite plane is my Norris A5, BTW.

No such luck - would have been good though. But! I talked to the neighbor a few days later and the strike blew out most of everything he had plugged in. So I guess he took a direct hit. He says even some of the wall sockets don't work anymore.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!