Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Last Week's Projects at Pellow's Camp

Frank, you're a lucky guy, although it looks like you make your own luck. I've done several canoe trips in Canada and think it's a beautiful and great country, and certainly your part of it is.
    Last edited by Jules Dominguez; 08-22-2005 at 11:37 PM. Reason: correct spelling

What a beautiful hide-a-way you have Frank. I've always wanted something like that. Someday......maybe.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

The deck is now finished

I went back to Pellow's Camp the week before Labour Day and, among many other things, completed the deck. I attach a couple of pictures.

(1) the side of the deck taken from the roof of the cabin

(2) the deck and the sauna building behind it (next year I will cover the bottom part with lattice)

(3) similar view to (2) taken 3 years ago
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 09-12-2005 at 9:26 AM.

Nice view Frank!! The deck looks great...glad you got it finished. Fence pickets make a great skirt if you are so inclined. They prevent animals from getting under there and still give you ventilation when they shrink (I use cedar and it's usually a bit wet). If you use dry cedar, space the boards out about 1/8".

Looking good Frank.

I have a couple of questions though. Do you visit your retreat in the winter?
    And are you concerned about animals [bears, racoons etc.] setting up winter quarters under your new deck? I would be concerned with some animal getting under there and dieing, creating a food source for scavengers and a stench which could make staying at Pellow's Camp rather undesireable.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Karl, the last time I visited Pellow's camp in the winter was 48 years ago (when I skied about 10 kilometres to it breaking trail and towing a toboggan). Two of the three building are winterized and I intend to get there in the winter again (this time by snow mobile) as soon as I can convince someone to go with me.

We have always had some open space under our buildings and there has never been a problem with animals. But, this is the most open space we have ever had and I do have a small concern. That is why I mentioned encasing the area with lattice next year.