Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epoxy as Knot Filler Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Spear View Post
    What is CG?
    Coffee grounds. Great for coloring walnut. Almost everything you need to tint epoxy can be found in the kitchen - coffee, cocoa powder, paprika, flour, chili powder, curry etc. These additives give the epoxy some "body" that makes it easier to fill the knot/ hole too.

I use gorilla WOOD glue and usually mix in some of the saw dust from the cup on my sander. I have done this for years and it works great. The knot holes end up the same color as the finished wood so the they look like the other natural knots. The reason for the goriila wood glue is do to the fact that when it dries, with out saw dust mixed in, it dries clear. It doesn't have the yellow tint like other wood glues or the tan like titebond III. Dont forget it is the wood glue NOT the gorilla poly glue.

So, after hearing the suggestions yesterday, I purchased a few of "syringes" of 5 minute epoxy at the BORG. I used half of one to make up some test "black", and the other half I used to mix up with some wood flour from my ROS. Well, I ended up liking the final color that the hickory and walnut produced, so that's what I used. I might have time to sand off the excess tonight. I will post some pics of the sanded tops once I’ve got that step completed.

Again, thanks…