Thread: MM20 (& above) DC Port Size ?

MM20 (& above) DC Port Size ?

Anybody happen to know if any of the larger Minimax bandsaws have 120mm ports? I measured the one on my MM16 this morning and it looks like 100mm. I've got a Hammer J/P on order that has 120mm and I like to be able to use the same hose & connections on the MM16 by changing out the black plastic port piece to 120mm if I can find one the same general configuration.
    Use the fence Luke

I have a similar dust-collection setup for my Hammer A3-31 and Laguna 16HD: one flex hose that plugs on to the machines, with the A3-31 in either the jointer or planer configurations. With this approach, there's a lot of plugging and unplugging, so mine does it quickly. I used 5" HVAC fittings, with the plugging and unplugging connection held just by friction. It does hold, perhaps because the lower pressure inside the duct helps suck things together. This approach requires replacing the exhaust ports on both the J/P and the bandsaw with 5" fittings. I think they're called "starter collars" or some such, at my local HD. I suppose there are parts out there to do the same approach in metric, but they may be hard to find. The key is to be able to move the flex hose quickly.

The 20" MM BS has the same 100mm port as the MM16. I choke a 5" Flex duct down to 4" and it's a tight friction fit.

What I have always thought should be done:

Use that blade cover that is above the existing dust port (it has a slot in it to slide up/dn).....and connect a larger 5-6" collar (as Jamie mentioned) to it somehow. This gets the DC up CLOSER to underneath the table with a larger port = better DC. The only downfall is if you need to tilt the table (a rarity in my work...)

I use the full 5" flex duct held by rubber bands on my General 15" BS. It's right under the table and does a great job. No ports...just held as close to the underside guides/blade as I can get it.

Well what I'm trying to do is keep any adapters at the opposite end of the hose where I have to go from 120mm to 6". I already ordered the 120mm quick connect and a 2m piece of 120mm flex hose from Hammer when I ordered the J/P so I was hoping to just do a 120mm port on the BS and use the same Felder quick-connect fitting. I'll try calling MM and see if any of their other bandsaws use a 120mm port and see what they want for it if they do.
    Thanks
    Use the fence Luke

I slide 4" hose onto the DC pipe coming out of my MM20. It's a good tight fit and easy to put on and take off when I use the machine.

The Laguna LT16HD has a 4" "ish" port. I cut it out and bolted a 5" dia port in it's place. I had dust buildup inside the cabinet before, and nearly none with the larger port. That said, dust collectio for the stuff above the table is non existant.

Doug,

I have an MM24 with a 120mm dust port.

Rye Crane

Quote Originally Posted by Rye Crane View Post
    Doug,

I have an MM24 with a 120mm dust port.

Rye Crane
    According to MM this morning, all of their bandsaws have 100mm ports Think I'd better call them back. Thanks a bunch.
    Use the fence Luke