Thread: What to do with old TS?

Blog Entries

What to do with old TS?

In other posts I told the story of burning up the motor in my old Craftsman TS. New saw is in house and being assembled. (Gloat to come) Now what do I do with the old one? It has the base with adjustable feet and a cast iron top. I've gutted the inside and removed everything. I just can't imagine tossing it or selling for scrap metal. It seems like it would make a good tool support for CMS or planer. Any ideas?

2. Might make a good router table. Would definitely work as a boat anchor.

Blog Entries
    I would check out what a local machine shop would charge to mill out the bottom side to accept my router and make a really solid router table. It would make an incredible router table with a moveable fence and two miter slots.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Machine shop would charge 10X the value of the saw around here!

Would be slick if you could use the crank handle to raise and lower a router.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

6. I would just grind off anything on the bottom of the table that is in the way of the router. Modify a zero-clearance insert, and drill, countersink, and mount router directly to table. I would use a router that allowed bit changes from above.

I think I would have put a new motor in it and turned it into a dedicated dado station.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I use my old saw as a Metal cutting saw.
    Abrasive blade mounted I can saw steel rather accurately and fast.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Epperson View Post
    I think I would have put a new motor in it and turned it into a dedicated dado station.
    It was direct drive and Sears doesn't sell the motor anymore. Repair was in the $150 to $400 range depending on which shop I called. The direct replacement from sears is $150. (I went with a Grizzly).

I'll look into the router table option. I have an RT and considered using this for my miter saw and getting rid of the rickety stand I have now. But I really like the RT idea.

Post it on craigslist for $500. Call it "vintage." Repeat week after week.

11. You know how much those "vintage" tools are worth.

Cover the table with assorted PSA sandpaper and have a REALLY flat sanding table. You could even use the fence to sand a 90 or miter angles.