Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My son wants a .22 rifle

Marlin, Savage, Remington, and even Ruger (for a price) make (or have made) good bolt action 22s, and don't overlook the CZ 452. Or even a Romanian M-1969 "Trainer". All are pretty good bolt actions to learn on. Any of which would be my choice as a starter trainer.

I learned to shoot shotguns with a break action single shot, but never cared for one in a rifle. Would probably work great through.

I have several semi-auto 22s and would advise against one as a starter. It's just too much fun to drop into the "spray and pray" mode, and that's not really the lesson a beginner needs to learn. Though a 10/22 for a later addition might be a consideration. They are a lot like a Timex watch and will tolerate a good bit of abuse and still function.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dennis, if you want to make a trip to Washington, I will make you a great deal on my old Weatherby. A great shooter just have not used it in many years.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Blog Entries
    Ok, I am probably going to hate myself for even chiming in here, but...
    What is is about guns that appeal so much to all you gun lovers? When I tried shooting, I got bored after about 10 rounds. They are loud, smelly and off the scale dangerous. As far as I know the primary purpose of a gun is to kill or destroy something. Woodworking on the other hand is all about creating something of use. I just don't get it. To each his own I guess.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hi Larry, I guess the reasons that I target shoot is that the disipline required to shoot well, is a great way to clear the mind. Hunting is a bit different, but both it and target shooting also evoke an impression of simplier times. The sense of handling a great old rare handplane is very similar to hanging onto a great old gun of some sort. We all have our reasons, but those are mine.

Another for the 10/22. Own one in the synthetic stock and its a great gun. It is also one of the best platforms for future upgrades to possibly shoot some competition.

Blog Entries
    I'm a hunter and own several rifles. I would be reluctant to give a 14 year old a 22 of any make with out Dad holding the key to the trigger or bolt lock on the gun. I would also insure that it wasn't used unsupervised for at least 2 more years so that the child fully understands that this is a dangerous weapon and that the bullets can travel long distances and once the trigger is pulled they can't be taken back. 14 even for a person used to being around guns is too young to be unsupervised at all times with a rifle or hand gun.

If you want low cost target practice to develop skill get a medium to high quality pellet gun in either a .177 or .22 caliber. Far less cost and danger to operate, same level of supervision required.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I am not au fait with current rifle models, but I certainly endorse the single-shot recommendations. It teaches that every shot counts and gets you in the habit of looking in the chamber.

When I was about 12, my dad got me a pump BB gun. He took me hunting with it three times before he ever let me carry any BB's along! It was all about instruction.

My first real gun was the Savage 22/410 over/under when I was about 14. Single shot, break action. I loved that gun and I learned to aim right the first time.

[Wanna see my Expert Marksman medal from the Air Force? ]
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Thanks everyone.

Please understand that I don't take things like weapons lightly. Remember, I'm an ex-explosives expert and I was also raised with rifles and shotguns from the age of 7. I shot my 1st pistol at age 8 and shot my granddad's old 10 gauge shotgun at age 11. I am neither careless nor irresponsible with my weapons nor my family.
    I do have plans for both of my boys to take the local hunting safety course. They both have several airsoft weapons and play "army" with them, and one of them has a recurve bow and does target shooting with it. One has a .177 pellet rifle and even their airsoft guns are treated with respect and care.

We will shop around and talk around and see what comes up. I'd like to get a bolt action 1st as that is what I learned on.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I'm a hunter and own several rifles. I would be reluctant to give a 14 year old a 22 of any make with out Dad holding the key to the trigger or bolt lock on the gun. I would also insure that it wasn't used unsupervised for at least 2 more years so that the child fully understands that this is a dangerous weapon and that the bullets can travel long distances and once the trigger is pulled they can't be taken back. 14 even for a person used to being around guns is too young to be unsupervised at all times with a rifle or hand gun.

If you want low cost target practice to develop skill get a medium to high quality pellet gun in either a .177 or .22 caliber. Far less cost and danger to operate, same level of supervision required.
    Lee, I think the age of responsibility varies per kid. I was far younger then that when I got the "keys". I also know some "adults" that I wouldn't trust with one either.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Ok, I am probably going to hate myself for even chiming in here, but...
    What is is about guns that appeal so much to all you gun lovers? When I tried shooting, I got bored after about 10 rounds. They are loud, smelly and off the scale dangerous. As far as I know the primary purpose of a gun is to kill or destroy something. Woodworking on the other hand is all about creating something of use. I just don't get it. To each his own I guess.
    Yes to each his own. Some people like putting away a litre of vodka every day too. And woodworking is about turning a beautiful tree into some ghastly project while supporting an industry that strips our planet of one of its greatest resources.

I'm just kidding, I like playing the Devil's Advocate, and anti-firearm people make my skin crawl.

I got my first 10/22 when I was probably ten or eleven years old. I still have it, though I haven't put a round through it in years. There are a ton of aftermarket parts available. The best that I know of being made by a company called Volquartsen in Carrol IA. I built a complete 10/22 entirely from aftermarket parts from this company. The skies the limit, I've got $1600 into my 10/22, and I still haven't put a good set of optics on it yet.
    One thing I would spend money on right off the bat would be a heavy barrel variation. Ruger sells them this way as well. While it is a bit more up front, they are pretty damn accurate out of the box.

Glad to see so much support for the 10/22, its a good rifle, easy to maintain, and offers alot for cheap.

As long as safety FIRST is pounded into a kids head, and they really realize what damage one wrong shot can do, I see nothing wrong with kids shooting. My daughter was raised to expect every gun to be loaded, never touch one without a parent there, etc.... She used to shoot a 45 semi pistol in competition shoots when she was 10 years old. She knew what a bullet could do to a living thing because we took her deer and elk hunting from age 2 on up. She did her BB gun carrying to 'hunt' for a few years too.

I helped teach hunters ed classes that I wouldn't of wanted to be within miles of those kids once they got their card to hunt! Their parent/s just wanted that extra tag to fill.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Yes to each his own. Some people like putting away a litre of vodka every day too. And woodworking is about turning a beautiful tree into some ghastly project while supporting an industry that strips our planet of one of its greatest resources.

I'm just kidding, I like playing the Devil's Advocate, and anti-firearm people make my skin crawl.
    I'm not anti-firearm, I just don't get what the appeal is. To each his own I guess, I don't get golf either. You hit a little ball and then chase it, until you eventually knock it into a hole. What's the point?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I've thought for a long time that the Henry lever action 22 would be a fun little gun.

My favortie squirel hunting gun is a Browning Buckmark 22. It's a semi auto pistol. A total blast in hunting fast moving squirels. It's also a great challenge getting those up high or far away shots.

For my first pistol (as an adult) was the Ruger single six. IMO, the best starter pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I don't get golf either. You hit a little ball and then chase it, until you eventually knock it into a hole. What's the point?
    I agree with you about golf.
    Besides, a golf course is the deliberate and willful misapplication of a perfectly good rifle range.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by David Epperson View Post
    .....a golf course is the deliberate and willful misapplication of a perfectly good rifle range.
    Now that's funny right there.!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.