Thread: Turning Tool Holder

Turning Tool Holder

Finally got tired of turning tools rolling around on top of lathe bench. This is not an original idea, saw it discussed somewhere else.
    Computer techies will recoginze the monitor swivel extension arm. Picked up this surplus unit a year ago. Rolling tool agravation and "round-to-its" got in sync tonite. Its three sheets of plywood, gang drilled to hold the tool handles and assembled with 2 x spacers. Since I'm relatively new at this and I can't tell which tool is which just by looking at the handle, I decided to store them tool-side up. This way, I can see which tool I'm looking for. The pics show it retracted/at rest and extended to where I was working on the saucer, posted earlier. Ah, one less agravation.
    Ernie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

That's a pretty neat idea. Just watch your step around that contraption, you wouldn't want to trip and put an eye out with one of those pointy sticks.

Ernie
    Neat idea- necessity is certainly the mother of invention.
    George

Ernie, well thought out and very functional. Very nice.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Very nice but you don't have enough holes in it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Great idea Ernie. I hope you don't mind if I clone it.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

James, pointy sticks, I'll be careful. Idea was I could shove the whole thing out of my immediate work area when I'm sanding or polishing.
    George, yes, necessity. Dick, thank you. It worked out well during my first session.
    Bruce, you're right. There's only room for 7 more turning tools. Need more. By the way, what is that growing out of your head? Looks more like something running around in the woods in Maine, not New Mexico?
    Kent, I did, you could. We're here to help each other? My only embarrassment is I don't remember who to credit for the idea. It wasn't mine.
    Thank you all. Bruce, need more tools.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

Ernie, Ya got to motorize it! Something with a TV channel changer to control it with would do nicely. Number the tools. Punch 04 and the skew is delivered to you, 05 brings a gouge. Don't stop now.

Ernie, I've got to do something about my own assortment of tools. Generally, I like your idea. However it might be safer to have the tools sharp side down. Another thing, I see that when extended it looks like the tools are readily accessible without reaching over anything that might be spinning in the lathe. This is real important. I work in an industrial environment and have a few scars to prove my rare inattention. I hope you don’t feel the least bit slighted, I just always look at safety whenever around tooling. I think I’ll copy your idea!!! Thanks for posting.

Excellent idea!

Ernie,
    Personally, I would rather have the "shiny sides down". On the other hand, ease of access is also important. You certainly have solved THAT problem.

One small suggestion: Rarely does a single turning project require more than three or four chisels. I like to vary the shape and even color of the handles on my basic chisels. That way I can grab them with only a minor interruption in the turning process. They may not look that "neat" when they are hung on the "rack", but it does save time in finding chisels which may be buried in chips and stuff. Just a thought.

Thanks for the pics!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!