Thread: Milwaukee 5625 router in a table ??

Milwaukee 5625 router in a table ??

For those of you that have a Milwaukee 5625 router mounted in a table, how do you like it?
    Is the above table adjustment an advanatge?

My Hitachi is wearing out, and will need replacing soon, and while I love the green beast, I was looking at something different.

Thanks
    Dave
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

I have the Milwaukee 5625 in my Kreg router table but I put it in a Woodpeckers PRL-V2 lift. The 5625 is a strong, smooth performer that I am very happy with. The height system in the factory Milwaukee base is as good or better than any I have seen but none of them beat a real lift plate. For me, that's the Woodpeckers stuff. I have reviews of the Milwlaukee and the Woodpeckers plate at the links below if more into (and photos & video) would help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/milw562520rvu.html

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/wdpkprlv2rvu.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Only complaint is that is a PITA to change bits.

Some of the best toys I have in the shop 5625/PRL-V2. I also added a remote power switch and speed control to the router so I never have to open the router cabinet door.

I find bit changing easy with the lift, but, it does require two wrenches.

Mike

Blog Entries
    I love mine. Plenty of ooomph, electronic feedback provides consistent power. I used the t-wrench for quite awhile. I now have a PRL lift. I'm not sure why one poster stated that bit changes are a pain. Drop the motor out of the base with one hand, set it on the table and use two wrenches. With two wrenches, they work against each other; with the locking collet, you apply torque to the motor body. I find the latter awkward but, that just goes to show we're all different.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I also have never had a problem changing bits with my Milwaukee 5625. The wrenches Milwaukee supplies are actual forged pieces rather than the stamped sheet stock ones many manufacturers send. And the collet is self-extracting so getting the bits out is not an issue either.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

I have Milwaukee 5625 mounted in router table. Bolted base to 3/4" MDF mounted over a torsion box. Photos aare shown in www.patwarner.com. Previously, I had used Hitachi and Makita 3 hp plunge routers in the table. Milwaukee 5625 is the best I have ever used for table use. As others noted, just remove the motor with one hand and change bits on the bench using two wrenches, ideal approach in my opinion.

It has a micrometer height adjustment that enables vey fine adjustments. I like to keep things simple so I just open the router base door, unlock the base, adjust height and relock the base. All the money spent on lifts is not for me. I also don't like router plates that sit in a top as the top eventually sags, never happens with MDF top on a torsion box.

Go for the Milwaukee 5625, best rounter I own.

My 5625 is a beast...it never flinches, and is built like a tank. There's nothing fancy about the bit changes....two wrenches required, above table changes without a bent wrench are difficult. No comparison to the one handed true above table bit changes on the newer Freud FT1700 and FT3000, but is a very stout tool...it really boils down to what's most important to you. It does have above table height adjustment, but requires under table locking/unlocking....no biggie. It should be an excellent replacement/upgrade to your Hitachi.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have a similar setup to Mike. (5625 in Woodpecker PRL V2).
    I think that is one of the best and easiest to use tools in my shop.
    With the lift, bit changes are very easy.
    I also have a Festool router with a collet lock for bit changing.
    When used in a router table, the two wrench changes are much preferred.

I used my 5625 without the lift for a short while. Then I succumbed to the song
    of the PRL V2. I give a high priority to tools and accessories that shorten the
    amount of time to do tasks, and improve the quality, and ease the repeatability.
    If you can swing it, the combo of a 5625 and a Woodpecker lift are terrific.

Good luck
    John

Good information here...I use mine in a table without a lift -- the through the table works just fine for my purposes. The only tedious part is that it has to be unlocked to raise and lower, which is where the lift would be a benefit. I decided not to spend the extra money on a lift and so far it has worked fine. Awesome router and it is nice to be able to raise and lower it without the cord winding around the motor.

Scot

Absolutely love it !

A little late to the party here, but I also have the 5625 in the PRL V2 and couldn't be happier. Wish I had done it sooner. Raised panels, fine intricate work, general purpose, you name it all work well. I have pics of my set up here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dmshopshots
    Best of luck.......
    Dick Mahany.

I have one mounted on a Jointech Smart Lift. The guys there went and bought one and customized my lift to fit the 5625. It too is a bit of a pain to change bits but man it is powerful and steady.