Thread: Recall:Shop Fox Dust Collection Remote Switches

Recall:Shop Fox Dust Collection Remote Switches

I subscribe to the Consumer Product Safety Commission alert program (cpsc.gov) and this came across about the Shop Fox DC remote switches made by Woodstock International.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09308.html

I have no dog in this fight, just passing info on in case someone has the unit.

Interesting...looks like it is the 110v version.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I just emailed them and got a reply back very quickly. It's both the 120v and 240v models that are affected.

They asked me to measure the case of mine to see if I need to return it. They must have changed dimensions on them somewhere along the line ... i'll be measuring mine tonight just to be sure.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Interesting, I ordered one a while back and it was put on backorder. Hmmmm, guess they new about this a while ago. I was told it would come off backorder in late September. Luckily for me, I purchased a used Woodcraft one from a Creeker here a couple three weeks ago.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Smile Thanks

Thank you for posting this bought one at wood working show and one of the wires melted
    "Don't Sweat the Petty Things and Don't Pet the Sweaty Things "

I just installed a remote switch so I ran to the shop to see how big it was and looked at it and saw it was the Long Ranger III Heavy Duty Remote Switch and I gave a big sigh of relief.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

I've been emailing with Woodstock about my unit and I've confirmed that my unit was one of them. They sent me a PDF to help me determine if mine was one of the recalled units because my measurements were a little different than their recall notice stated.

Here's that PDF

Recalled Switch2.pdf
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

recall

I just got off the phone with them, I have one that is being recalled. They want it shipped back immediately but they don't have any replacements, they said they hope to have some from the factory in approximately 3 weeks, (there were only 450 units involved in the recall) I asked if there was anything they could do to expedite a replacement since I would assume 3 weeks from the factory, 2 weeks to Grizzly and another week to me for a minimum of 6 weeks, they said I should return it to Grizzly for a refund and then go buy another brand.

You bet I will and I told them if this was the kind of customer service they offer that I would not be shopping for any shop fox brand equipment in the future.

I called Grizzly and they said they would give me a refund or they would replace it when they get stock. (They do not know when they will receive stock)

When I bought this remote, I was trying to save a few bucks VS the Long Ranger. Now I start all over!

Sorry to Rant.

They asked one to ship back, offered full refund and said to get another brand based on what seemed to be your need(s) and then this is called poor customer service by you??

Sorry but recalls happen, they were decent on offering refund upon receipt of bad unit, what part am I missing here? Seems to me they did do all that one can expect and gave you your option out. Sounds loke solid service to me - same as I received when I had a bad motor on a Jet DC. Not once but twice. I took the cash at that point but can't say enough good things about how fair Jet was. Things happen. They treated me fair.

Wouldn't you know it... I just today decided to buy this remote based on... you guessed it: price. I wonder why it sells so cheap .

Quote Originally Posted by Salem Ganzhorn View Post
    Wouldn't you know it... I just today decided to buy this remote based on... you guessed it: price. I wonder why it sells so cheap .
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like they are going to sell you a recalled one then make you send it back.

I wouldn't worry about it either - pretty certain any they have now will be 100% tested and checked...don't ya think?

I use 3 of these at home and been happy as a pig in mud with them. Hate to hear of anything ever getting recalled by any company. Still I have never based my buying decision(s) on a company and their products in general based on a recall. If I did I suspect I'd be walking hundreds of miles each week instead of driving

Bought my 220V Shop Fox Remote DC Switch in April of 2008. I contacted Woodstock just the same to be safe and they told me I'm good. Makes me happy!

FYI - my width measurement was greater by .25" also.
    Michael P Young
    Canton MI

Thanks so much for posting this recall. My shop fox switch quit about 6 months ago, I took it apart and fixed the problem with a new wire & pigtail, I always did think it got awfully hot and unplugged the unit every night when I left the shop. I think I'll be taking the refund.

Loren

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eller View Post
    I subscribe to the Consumer Product Safety Commission alert program (cpsc.gov) and this came across about the Shop Fox DC remote switches made by Woodstock International.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09308.html

I have no dog in this fight, just passing info on in case someone has the unit.
    I never saw this recall and have been using my Shop Fox remote all this time. Well, it just melted and quit working. Thank God that I was in the shop and noticed the smell and unplugged the unit. It was so hot that it had started to deform the hard outer plastic case. I wasn't even using the unit - it was just plugged in, but turned off via the remote.

It could've burnt my shop and house down. I noticed your post when I started researching this unit today. I've sent an email to get a refund or replacement.

Hopefully they will still honor a refund at this date.

If anyone else has one of this units in their shop, quit using it and get a replacement.
    Last edited by Alan Kelly; 11-17-2012 at 6:26 PM.