Thread: 1HP DC - sufficient?

1HP DC - sufficient?

Hi all,

at the suggestion on another SMC member I'm reposting in this forum as I was told I'm more likely to findgood answers here.

I am on the market for a dust collector and I pretty much narrowed my choices down two two models from Steel City:

Model 65110: 700 CFM, 10 Amps
    Model 65200: 1200 CFM, 14 Amps

Woodworking is a hobby completely unrelated to my job.

I am aware that, like with some other things, bigger is better but I am not after what is better but rather after what is sufficient for my needs which are contained in a 1 car garage: thickness planer, TS, 6" jointer, bandsaw, router table, some small sanding tools.

Equipped with only 4 limbs, the hind ones being used to maintain an upright posture, I don't plan on ever using more than one tool at a time, unless it's a chisel and a mallet. Also, the garage is small enough so I am not planning to create a ductwork system with elbows, blast gates and what not. I can't see myself using more than 10 feet of the standard 4" hose.

My question is to those who have had experience with dust collector in the range of 700 cfm. Is the smaller one sufficient for my needs?

Thanks.

I was in your position a few months ago and I bought a PSI 1hp dust collector - a horizontal unit with just one bag. It lives under my table saw. I have some constraints in that I didn't want a vertical one, but if you're fine with a vertical machine, I don't see any reason to get a 1hp machine. I constantly wish mine were more powerful, and while it works as a chip collector mostly, I'm still left with some chips on the floor after using all my machines. I also always wear a good respirator so it's not so much a health problem as a nuisance for me.

Go with the 1.5hp machine and that will allow you to keep suction up if you decide to use a thein baffle or pre-separator. Also, I would budget for a good canister filter. Dealing with filter bags is a royal pain.

Just my 0.02

3. chip collector

I agree the 1.5 is better because you can use the 6" side if you want and more air movement is better
    Harold

I hate to be the only dissenting view, but here's my story.

I've had a 1 hp DC (Jet) with an upgraded bag (which did make a big difference) in my basement workshop for years. I have it ducted throught 4" plastic pipe with blast gates to my 12" planer, jointer, TS, and drum sander. It works fine and I've never been disappointed.

In the garage, I have another 1 hp DC (Delta), connected via hose to either my 15" planer or Minimax BS. It works fine with both.

I also have a cheap Harbor Freight horizontal 1 hp DC that I leave connected to my 2 router tables and it works great.

In my new workshop underway, I will keep these three and move them around on wheels to where I need them, and avoid lots of ducting and cost. I'm trying to keep things simple, and I like the flexibility to change my layout without moving ductwork.

For many, bigger is better, but for me, I opt for smaller but big enough.

Bob

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    "at the suggestion on another SMC member I'm reposting in this forum as I was told I'm more likely to findgood answers here."

I used a 1HP DC for a lot of years. It was adequate but I later updated to a 3HP system. If you use only a 4" hose you will be lucky to get 400cfm. I would go with the 1.5HP model and use larger hose and reduce at the machine.