Thread: End Vise DIY

End Vise DIY

My work bench needed an end vise so I could hold some long pieces that will get fluted. I looked around for a simple (cheap) way to do this, and finally came up with this setup that cost about $7 and some scrap.

EndViseDIY.jpg

The $7 bought (2) 1/2 inch threaded rods, 24 inches long; (10) 1/2 inch nuts and (2) 1/2 inch washers. The bolt block is a piece of 2X4 that is 12 inches long, and it holds four of the nuts. I drilled half inch thru holes on six inch centers, with the holes enlarged to 3/4 inch hole at each end. I chiseled out hex shapes to hold the four nuts. This block was attached to the underside of the work bench top. The two theaded rods each go through a pair of the nuts held in the bolt block, and come out of the side of the cabinet and through a piece of 2x6 used for a jaw. I made quickie handles out of a piece of 1-1/4 inch dowel stock - I'll go back and turn some proper handles on my lathe eventually.

I still need to drill some 3/4 inch holes for dogs, then I'll be ready to go. Yes, I had some nuts left over.

This is not likely to be featured in the next book on workbenches, but it does work - and did I mention it only cost $7?

Blog Entries
    Looks pretty slick and the price was right

Nice work. It took me a long time to figure out the picture because I thought I was looking down instead of from the side.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Please post photos. I would LOVE to see that rig!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...