Thread: Do you use a "D" base on your router...

Do you use a "D" base on your router...

What is your advice on "D" base routers?
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez

I do use the D-handle base for my DW618, generally for edge work and hinge mortising, although I've left it on the machine when dovetailing, too. The trigger switch is very convenient for many of these operations--the one caution being to remember to turn off the "regular" power switch before you switch to the fixed or plunge bases or you "have a real surprise" when you plug the thang in! (DAMHIKT!!) I pretty much stick with the fixed base or D-handle base and only use the plunge base when the operation demands it. Both the fixed and D-handle are a little less top-heavy than the plunger and I also find that height adjustment is easier with these bases.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have 2 690 series PC routers. One stays in the D handle and the other stays in the plunge base. The D handle is much easier to use than the base that came with my router. I have the original base attached to a circle cutting jig that I bought to make table tops. That way I can move the motor from the D handle to the circle jig with out much hassle.

Yes, on Occassion

I have a 30+ year old Craftsman that has a D handle that I leave set-up for blind dovetails. When I use my PC 690 with the stock base, I use a foot pedal switch. That seems to combine the best of both worlds - good two handed control of the router and not having to grope for the switch.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I do use the D-handle base for my DW618, generally for edge work and hinge mortising, although I've left it on the machine when dovetailing, too. The trigger switch is very convenient for many of these operations--the one caution being to remember to turn off the "regular" power switch before you switch to the fixed or plunge bases or you "have a real surprise" when you plug the thang in! (DAMHIKT!!) I pretty much stick with the fixed base or D-handle base and only use the plunge base when the operation demands it. Both the fixed and D-handle are a little less top-heavy than the plunger and I also find that height adjustment is easier with these bases.
    I've been wondering about D handles myself.

Same here with my PC7529 Jim. I've come to like my Makita with the fixed base for the easy adjustment and bit changes, however, with a toddler at home, I like the safety of my PC plunge. As soon as the cut's complete, release the trigger and plunge lock lever and it cuts off without forfeiting any control of the tool, plus the bit is retracted above the base where it can spin itself to a safe stop.

I recently had a sign to route out, and used the D-handle with a 690, very slick, and hard to beat for fine control. I also have the standard base, and plunge, but this job the D-handle was the way to go.
    Ned

2B1ASK1

Aurelio,

It is just another tool in the router arsenal to use. For edge-routing, it is great as it helps to balance the router better since just over half the router is typically unsupport during these opperations.

For others, it is just more comfortable to use. I the the PC 690 series and have the fixed, plunge (used most often) and D-handle.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have a D handle on my 690 and love it!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney