Thread: wooden chimney range hood

wooden chimney range hood

I'm bidding a job that will include a wooden chimney range hood. The vent will go through the ceiling to the attic. The hood chimney will house the hood. I've never actually built one before. It looks simple enough. Does anyone have some plans or a good resource to get me jumpstarted before I start butchering wood. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Those things are usually built around an insert which is sold by the range-hood company. The insert has the blower and filters and lights and switches and connection to the duct and such. You just make an enclosure for it. So the first thing to do is to get the insert, or at least get the installation drawing for it.

Brandon,

I built one for my home. I probably have a sketch and I can send you a pic. I can't consistantly figure out how to post on this site, but if you like I can e-mail what I have to you. Let me know.

Curtis

wooden chimney hood for range insert

See attached pics, this is what I am looking for plans for. I made a hood in my shop, just a prototype. I had a hard time getting the hood square and all the angles to line up. It took me more that 3 hours to get the thing made. In two pieces of course. I guess I had a real hard time with the math. When trying to let the top and sides angle in and maintain a 90 degree angle from front to side, that really stumped me. Does anyone have any insight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Check out the post a few down from here "Best Tool Ever -12 Bucks".
    It looks as if that calculator would help you do the angles and bevels to build the enclosure. You only really need to know the size you need. I haven't looked at it myself but it seems promising.