Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Assembly table?

Assembly table?

What size assembly table do you guys have? I am thinking about 24'' to 30'' tall and either 4x4 or 4x6. I need something flat to do my assembly my garage floor is not even close to be flat and level. May be I can see some pics and different ideas. Money is tight now days and I would like to get as many ideas as possible.

Shawn...I just bought the plans for Norm's assembly table at NYW. You might look there.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'll take a look.

I had watched that video before, I had planed on making a torsion box top for it, I was hoping for ideas about different sizes and heights, and maybe different storage ideas. I was thinking about putting some t tracks in the top as well. I am in a 2 car garage so space is at a premium.

A few years ago, I fabricated the NYW assembly table. It also doubles as a cut off table for the Unisaw -- approx 60" W X 34" D X30" H.

as far as height for a true/dedicated assembly table, I think that is going to depend upon what type of work you do. If you do small boxes,etc., such a table would probably need to be higher than one for assembling large carcasses, kitchen cabinets, etc.

If you need mobility, I suggest you bite the bullet & purchase quality & heavy duty casters. If you ever need to move the table w/ a load on it, better casters will make all the difference in the world. Nothing like be able to move a table out or about so you can work from all four sides if needed I also suggest casters that lock both the wheel & stem. I put them on several tool stands & a shop cart & once locked, the tool stand/shop cart doesn't move.

If you just need a table that doesn't necessarily need to weight, mobility, etc., maybe build a torsion box & then installing a pair of folding legs?? That way when not needed, it can folded up & placed against a wall.

Ideally I would like it to be mobile but I am concerned about my garage floor being so unlevel, over time would it start to make the top not flat or would I need to level it every time I moved it? I would need it for cabinets and cases, so probaly lower would be better. My ceiling is 8' 2 1/2'' tall.

Blog Entries
    Shawn
    I just use a piece of plywood on 2 Stanley adjustable height horses, it's cheap & you fold up the horses & put everything against the wall when you're done so it takes up very little space.
    Dennis

My assembly table is also my outfeed table. The height is the same as the TS, 4 ft. wide and 6.5 ft. long. Works great and was one of the best shop improvements I ever made.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Assembly Table

I made a table out of two by six's for the legs. The top measures 4' by 8'. I attached masonite on the top of 3/4 plywood with screws.
    Also purchased a large roll of commercial brown paper 4' wide and attached the roll to the end of the table so when I start a glue-up or work with a finish I just pull out the paper to cover the table top. (Use the blue painters tape to hold the brown paper in place.)
    Also attached a 3/4 inch plywood base, (shelf), 12 inches above the bottom of the table legs to store my cut-offs and misc items.
    The table is heavy but is also on heavy-duty casters. Works great for me.
    Last edited by Jerry Todd; 03-17-2009 at 8:36 AM.
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Go to the nearest Barnes and Noble and pick up a copy of the Wood Magazine Shops issue. There are some examples of assembly tables that may be a source of ideas for you. Torsion box construction seems to be the preferred method of making a flat and stable top; and a hardboard top screwed to the top would make a replaceable surface when it get chewed up.

A great assembly table is a 30" hollow core lauan door from BORG. $20. You can clamp it to a small base and move it out of the way when not in use. Perfectly flat. I cover mine with 1/8" hardboard for each project.

Personally, I like my 30" x 72" table, because it provides adequate support for larger pieces.

My table is 40x80" and 36" high. Top is two 3/4 MDF and a sheet of 1/4" Masonite over it. Frame is about 1/2 sheet of 3/4 plywood. I put an edge around it to keep small tools from rolling off the edges. After 3 years it has stayed quite flat.

There was a thread on building this table a while back. thread
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Clark FL; 03-18-2009 at 7:18 AM.

I use my workbench for that purpose...it's an Adjust-A-Bench with variable height and the surface is 24 x 64, more or less. The adjustable height is important, IMHO, for any assembly surface unless you only do projects that are all the same size. Proper working height helps with your personal comfort and helps reduce mistakes due to fatigue, etc. It's simple to have an adjustable height without fancy mechanisms, too...some simple rectangular boxes that can be positioned in different orientations to support a torsion box surface, for example. Knock-down, half-lapped "X" supports could substitute for the boxes. That means that for really big projects you can either put the assembly surface right on the shop floor or just not use it. 'Gives you options.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I built a torsion box assembly table that is 4' x 7' and added adjustable legs of my own design. If my editor ever gets on the ball, an article on it may appear in a national WW magazine someday.

Low:

High: