Hi everyone, my first post here at the creek. I've had some downtime due to a back injury, and I decided to refinish a rifle stock while waitng for my surgery date. Well the first one came out great, I stripped the poly finish that Remington uses, then I finished with the low gloss Formsby's Tung oil finish. It's hard to believe that a finish as clear and shiny as the original could hide so much character. Well I'm moving on to my third stock and it's made from birch instead of walnut. I've been searching the internet trying to figure out how to finish it. In the process I've learned about using dyes instead of stain, and that the dye can be water based or denatured alcohol based. I think what I'm going to use is alcohol dye. While googling different techniques I found an old post here that described dyeing the wood, do a light sanding that'll remove dye from the harder part of the grain, then dyeing again with a different color. The colors that I'm thinking about using are black and dark red. What do you think, am I nuts or can this be done. I want to dye it black first, sand, then use a deep red dye with some black in it. Where the wood is lightened from sanding I'm thinking that there'll be a reddish hue. Will this work?