Thread: Performax S/T ? Attaches to RAS

Performax S/T ? Attaches to RAS

So there is a performax s/t that attaches to a RAS for sale on CL out here and I'm trying to get some info on it. Apparently it was the first product performx ever sold... anyone have experience with these? It super cheap and I have a RAS sitting around doing nothing...

bump to the top, someone must remember these

I bought (from Amazon) one of the Performax 22-44 heads about three years ago that attach to a RAS. I was going to use my father-in-law's saw, but I decided not to for various reasons. So I got the three legged stand, the motorized conveyor belt, a Baldor motor, and some castors and put them all together to make a usable machine. It worked all right, but it ended up costing me as much as if I had gotten a ready-made Performax 22-44.

If you don't get at least the motorized conveyor belt in addition to the sanding head, you have the problem of pushing the board through by hand at a consistent speed, which could be difficult.

I sold the whole works early this year and got the parts from Stockroom Supply to make a v-groove sander, which suits my needs better. The v-groove sanding drum doesn't burn the wood and clog the paper the way the Performax did. The burning and clogging can be minimized on the Performax, but it takes careful adjustment and a lot more attention than the v-groove does.

Some woodworkers my find the Performax (or Jet, or whatever name it is going by now) better for their purposes, so maybe they would comment.

sounds interesting.... I may give it a shot this weekend if the guy still has it and has a power feeder for it