Thread: Any Melonheads out there?

Any Melonheads out there?

I am giving serious consideration to building a Melonseed skiff. Probably strip planked with Western Red Cedar, Ash frames, Mahogany trim. Anybody have any experience with these fine little craft?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Creech View Post
    I am giving serious consideration to building a Melonseed skiff. Probably strip planked with Western Red Cedar, Ash frames, Mahogany trim. Anybody have any experience with these fine little craft?

A Melonseed skiff was featured in a fairly recent issue of Small Boat Advisor magazine I saw on the West Marine shelf as I was waiting for check out.

The article was from a sailor's perspective rather than a builder's.

Thanks Loren,
    I'll check it out this afternoon. It's not going to hurt to get some sailing tips for this boat as most of my sailing is on larger keelboats.

melonseeds

Hello, I don't have any experience with them but if you will check out this website of my buddy's you will see what a first class wooden boat builder does with them www.brushcreekyachts.com

I too like the Melonseed. Cortez just to the south of me here in St Pete FL has an organization that often builds them as part of their club activity. For another boat building option, see:

http://fivenineclimber.com/boatbuilding.htm

Check out the Core Sound 17.