Thread: Looking for input entertainment center

Looking for input entertainment center

I've been lurking on smc for far too long watching as all you guys turn out one awesome project after another, so I figured I needed to toss my hat out there in the ring and show you some of my ideas. I'm a big fan of the Eames style, so here is my Eames-inspired entertainment center. I haven't done any bending work before, so I'm not even sure how one would go about this exactly. Are the curves too complex to vacuum bag it in one go? Thanks in advance for your input.

That is a way cool concept!

Building it will be a little challenging, but don't let that stop you.

To answer your direct question, yes, it is too much to lay up in one blow. I'd run a horizontal parting plane through the middle of the piece to break it into five bent-lamination operations. Each subassembly would then be a C-shaped object, which is something you can handle in a vacuum bag. I'd make the bent-laminations somewhat oversize, and trim after the lamination operation.

How do you think you'll treat the edge? I believe the Eames chairs generally leave the plywood edge visible, or paint it. You could do that, but in this piece the edge is so visible you might conside edgebanding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    How do you think you'll treat the edge? I believe the Eames chairs generally leave the plywood edge visible, or paint it. You could do that, but in this piece the edge is so visible you might conside edgebanding it.
    Hadn't really decided yet, as this is just the early planning stage, but I was thinking of leaving the edge visible. You bring upa good point though, and I might just have to fire up Skecthup again and model both looks...