Thread: Thanks to Lee DeRaud

Thanks to Lee DeRaud

I've had this project for a while, waiting for the client to give me the data. Well, I finally got it and Lee DeRaud was kind enough to laser engrave the box for me.

The client wanted a box with the names of the matriarchal descendants - so the name below each name is that person's daughter. She has two daughters so I made two boxes, one for each. The last names are taped out for the picture to protect their identity.

I carved a heart out of bloodwood which I put on top, and Lee engraved "MOM" on the heart.

Most of the work on the boxes was hand work, except for stock preparation, which is why I'm posting in the Neander forum.

Thanks again to Lee and his magic machine. It's something to see that laser cut the wood the way it does.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Very nice indeed! Nice job on the boxes too.

Blog Entries
    Looks like a great family heirloom.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Beautiful work Mike. Please give us a few details of the construction - dimensions, joinery, method of lining, etc.

Richard

I especially like the blue tape.

Really beautiful box and an excellent idea.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kee View Post
    Beautiful work Mike. Please give us a few details of the construction - dimensions, joinery, method of lining, etc.

Richard
    Let's see. The outside dimensions are approximately 11" x 7" x 4.5". I glued the aromatic cedar to the walnut before I made the box (used mostly scrap from another project). I used miter joints to make the sides, cut a groove in the lower part of the wood for the bottom and glued up the box with the bottom installed. Then I glued the walnut top on (no cedar). I marked around the sides and cut the top off with a Japanese saw. I use a Japanese saw to take the minimum kerf, so that the wood looks continuous at the junction of the top and the main part of the box.

I have some big sandpaper glued to some MDF and I sanded the bottom of the top and the top of the remaining box on the sandpaper to make the surfaces flat. I carefully cut a piece of aromatic cedar and applied it to the underside of the top (trimmed to size with my LN block plane).

I marked the top for the bevel (that is, the raised panel look) with a marking gauge (marked in and down) and cut the bevel with a LN block plane to the lines. Pretty easy to do.

Setting in the quadrant hinges has been discussed earlier, but I'll reiterate that they're a challenge to put in. I inset them with chisels and carving tools (for the curved section), plus drilled a hole for the hinge supports to go into. I got the hinges at Woodcraft and they were priced pretty good - a lot less expensive than Brusso hinges.

For the heart, I took some bloodwood and glued a picture of a heart to it - then cut the shape on a bandsaw. I glued the heart to a board with cardboard between and carved the heart. The heart can be removed from the backer board because of the cardboard. Eventually, it got glued to the top of the box with epoxy.

That's about all I can think of. Making boxes like this is pretty easy but it does take some time, especially for the hinges.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.