Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weekend Doin's.....

Same as the past couple of weekends... working on the shed.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Blog Entries
    Beadboard, beadboard, beadboard!!! Having finished the wall treatment with the beaded oak panels, I have begun to wrap the soffits with it and will move on to the valance that hovers over top of where the bar will be and also "facing" the window seats with the beadboard. Need to trim down the pile of panels so they are not in the way and don't get dinged up. Lots that can be done to the new barroom at this point such as hooking up all of the new/added receptacles, trimming out the doors and windows with oak and trimming the wall beadboard with a nice chair rail configuration of my own design. The gas fireplace should be ordered and taken delivery of within the next two weeks - that means designing a base, mantel and surround - all of the corner configuration variety. Soon, furniture such as a three foot wide bookcase that will separate the two window seating areas, a hutch that will be behind the bar and a poker table will be needing to be constructed also.

Oh, and did I mention that somehow, I have to begin to get ready for our annual ten day vacation which is now precisely three weeks away?!?! That means getting the camper out, checking that over, giving the once over to the essential equipment associated with that and readying everything needed for our annual excursion to Syracuse, NY.

Maybe tomorrow (Sat) I'll post some updated pics of the room and one or two "snaps" from the very beginning to show how much has changed.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Hardwood Floor

I finished the wainscot project last week in one of the kid's rooms, and now its time to start putting down the Brazilian cherry floor in my office. I have room almost ready for the 1st planks to go down. Hopefully I'll finish laying the floor by tomorrow. After that I plan to add crown moulding, and finsh the wood, then paint. Guess I'll be busy.

Dave

Just got back from vacation this week and am finally getting the house in order. I need to finish the drainage trench for the shop but I'm having a hard time motivating myself to go grab a shovel in 108 degree heat.

I'm going to go run over to the new Woodworker's Source in north Phoenix. New, bigger building that's very snazzy. Interested to see what's inside. Maybe I'll grab a few sheets of plywood for new cabinets INSIDE the A/C'd shop instead of shoveling today.
    Brian Austin
    Phoenix, AZ

"Rule One: Well, I won't get it done sittin' here drinking coffee.
    Rule Two: The best you can do is the best you can do, so don't panic."
    -- John Gierach

Starting Living Room Remodel

This weekend begins a week of Living Room Remodel. LOML and her mother have gone to Nova Scotia on a week long cruise. Left Boston this afternoon ans won't return until next Saturday Evening. That will give me a week to get the "dirty" stuff done.

My house is a cape style house built around 1865 and has an air-gap (or at least what the mice haven't filled with corn cobs, walnut husks and the like) for insulation. The outside of the house and windows are complete, so it is off with the plaster and lathe (the plaster is pre-asbestos, so no worries there - it has actual horse hair in it - I have had a piece examined by the UVM (University of Vermont) extension service. It will come down very easy as the clumps between the lathe boards is - like - no longer there.

Once that is removed, comes the replacement of whatever 2 Conductor Romex and knob & tube wire that exists in the walls. 12-2 with ground for everything 110 VAC - plenty of overkill there! Then Insulation and drywall. That is my goal. If there is time, I will re-do the floor as well.

Wish me luck - I thought it would be a great time to let the dust fly around while SWMBO was away. I will spend next Saturday Morning dancing around very rapidly with the Shop-Vac! LOL

I will Post before, during and afterwards Pic's of this project.
    Last edited by Kurt Aebi; 09-11-2004 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Typo's
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Kurt, Be sure to look for hidden treasures!! I've found some wonderfull links with the past in my 100 year old farm house.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Aebi
    This weekend begins a week of Living Room Remodel. LOML and her mother have gone to Nova Scotia on a week long cruise. Left Boston this afternoon ans won't return until next Saturday Evening. That will give me a week to get the "dirty" stuff done.

My house is a cape style house built around 1865 and has an air-gap (or at least what the mice haven't filled with corn cobs, walnut husks and the like) for insulation. The outside of the house and windows are complete, so it is off with the plaster and lathe (the plaster is pre-asbestos, so no worries there - it has actual horse hair in it - I have had a piece examined by the UVM (University of Vermont) extension service. It will come down very easy as the clumps between the lathe boards is - like - no longer there.

Once that is removed, comes the replacement of whatever 2 Conductor Romex and knob & tube wire that exists in the walls. 12-2 with ground for everything 110 VAC - plenty of overkill there! Then Insulation and drywall. That is my goal. If there is time, I will re-do the floor as well.

Wish me luck - I thought it would be a great time to let the dust fly around while SWMBO was away. I will spend next Saturday Morning dancing around very rapidly with the Shop-Vac! LOL

I will Post before, during and afterwards Pic's of this project.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Tyler,

When I renovated the kitchen, I found about 300 buttons in the bottom of the wall that look like they dated a fair distance back, but still not worth anything other than being of onteresting design and all. I did, however, find a newspaper from 1913 that was being used as sheeting under the clapboards. That was interesting reading. I guess back in that time you used whatever you had - no Borg's or anything to run to.

When I did the outside, all the neighbors were telling me to remove the wide pine boards and sell them. The widest one was 27" and the narrowest one was 12". They were nailed in place with square head nails. I left them in place (none of them were rotted at all) because I knew that when I put the cedar siding on, I would have good wood to nail to - I really hate the bounciness you get from plywood.

Can't wait to see what "treasures" I find burried in the walls. - I'll keep ya posted!

Got a drywall jack reserved for Thursday - no lifitng heavy 12' sheets overhead for this old boy!
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Your a mad man Kurt! 12 footers. Wow that's a job for you young bucks. I think my muddin and tapin days are over!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Handcrafted blanks for Firewood .......

Frances left me some firewood materials, so I began cutting blanks. First two pic's are before, last pic's is end of day Saturday. Cleaned up a bit this morning but my sore back prohibited me from splitting any, have to wait for another day. This old age ain't what it's cracked up to be!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony