Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Iron...

Those are wonderful old machines. Don't worry about the age of the drill press. It might need new spindle bearings,or even a new motor,but I wouldn't let that bother me. If the drill runs smoothly,all is well. I wish I had one of those. My 1964 Craftsman drill press,bought new by me,recently had the motor go out. I found another of the same frame and put it on. Bearings are still fine,and I have run it up to 10,000 RPM many times. I bought the extra 3rd.pulley for a greatly increased speed range.

That bandsaw looks like it has a gearbox on the back for metal,and possibly for wood as well.

I have a pair of Walker Turners, and one looks like that with an oil return table and a aftermarket speed control.

If you don't get over there and buy it someone else will. I sold my commercial Delta after getting a Walker Turner because I just never chose to use it any more. I have a 2000# WT with a huge oil return bench and a threader setup. On that one the head goes up and down and the bench is fixed. Great machines!

Buy it!

I looked at this stuff yesterday and it is all decent. I passed because the prices are considerably higher than I have been paying recently and I allready have too many projects. The Bandsaw is a B-C 2300. The previous picture posted from OWWM is correct. The Walker Turner drill press is a nice little light duty unit. The folks that are selling this stuff are nice people.

Mike

I guess this counts as a mini-gloat... I'm now the owner of a WT 900 series drill press!

I'm admittedly not all that knowledgable of old iron, but this press seems to be in really good condition (pictures were already attached in this thread).

I measured the runnout at the chuck... 0.007, not great. Then I measured the runnout at the spot marked on this picture and it was ~0.0015.

Picture 002a.jpg

I assume that this means the chuck might be the source of the 0.007 runnout. I haven't done any searches yet, but does anyone have any advice of how to remove the chuck from this press? I have read that simply cleaning and re-seating can often help matters...

Thanks
    Andy

Try to re-position the chuck. You might find a spot where it all cancels out to 0.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night