Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beis splitter

Beis splitter

Hey I didn't want to hijack Rob's gloat post, he mentioned that he just got a Beis splitter. I was thinking of putting one of these on my wishlist but ran across a few posts here and other places that really said some nasty things about them. What do you guys really think. I have a jet 10 inch contractor saw with a thin kerf Forrest WWII blade. I took the original guard and splitter off first thing. Didn't like them, but the more I think about a splitter, the more I think I would like to have one. Eventually I will do an overarm guard too, but for now its a bit out of my price range.

Chuck

Hi! I wouldn't want to work without a splitter. The Beis won't work with a thin kerf blade. That said, mine works well. It is easy to remove and replace. It is a bit of a pain to put on (the instructions aren't great), but once on I haven't had to mess with it.
    By the way, I think that the Penn State overhead guard is on sale, or you might want to make your own. Good luck.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

I also have the Bies Splitter on a Delta Contractor. I like it. Not too much of a problem to install and very easy to use. I only had one thin kerf that I didn't use much so it wasn't much of an issue.
    Dan McLaughlin

Chuck:

I am using the MJ Splitter and the Grr-Ripper and really like them. There are tons of reviews out there. In Fact, Chris Dehut did an excellent video on it. I was very skeptical in the beginning. Very reasonable price.

http://www.microjig.com/Reviews/Prod...nie%20Hunt.htm

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/grr-ripper

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/safe-5a.htm

HTH
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs up Bies is the Bees Knees!

Still very new. The Bies has has been painless, literally. No kick back and after 100s of board feet of oak trim, no scratching on the surface of the lumber by the spring loaded pawls.

They had me scratching a little on installation, but I found my answer with other hardware provided by PM.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 09-11-2004 at 9:46 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Love my Bies Splitter on my Grizzly. It's a good investment.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Parr
    Love my Bies Splitter on my Grizzly. It's a good investment.
    Ditto for me. I have the Bies splitter and the PS Overarm Dust Collector/Guard on my Griz.

I would not start my saw without the two!
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

If you have a thin kerf blade, you cannot use the Beis or the MJ splitter. I use the Delta Removable Splitter (which can be used with thin kerf if I wanted to) and the MJ splitter. The Delta splitter is only $30 and works like a charm, but I don't know if it can be used on a Jet (I have a Unisaw) Whatever you do, definitely use some sort of splitter, even if it is shop made!

I have a review of the Biesemeyer splitter on my site. As others have stated, it will not work with thin-kerf blades. It's designed for normal 1/8" kerf cutters.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, I've been thinking of getting a 1/8 blade because its easier with the Incra TS-III to figure widths out on the fly faster, so I wouldn't be overly heart broken if I had to get another Forrest Blade... I might try another brand though just for kicks, the Forrests are expensive after all... yet in my opinion they are amazing blades.

Thanks for the advice and the links. I haven't been woodworking long and I know that without a guard and a splitter I am playing with fire. As careful as I am I'm sure its a matter of time before something bad happens.

Thanks again guys,
    Chuck

Love it!

I had a WWII thin-kerf and sold it so I could use the Beis splitter. The thing is utterly a joy to use. Easy-on, easy-off.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I guess I'm the only guy who doesn't like theirs.... I've often considered selling it.

Good luck w/ your choice.

Joe in Tampa

Chuck,

On the contrary, Biesemeyer does make a snap in splitter for thin kerf blades. I have one on my Jet and use it in combination with a Forrest WW2 thin kerf. I bought it at "The Cutting Edge" in Houston last year. It works well. It measures .099 on the dial caliper, the blade tooth tips measure at .109, the body is thinner.

Part #: B78452
    description: JWTS-10 / PM 64A / K Splitter
    price: $124.99

Brad
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 09-12-2004 at 12:50 AM.

Brad, that part number is listed on the Biesemeyer web site (http://www.biesemeyer.com/safety/index.htm) but the page, itself, indicates "no thin kerf" in the text above the table. Interesting that your measurements are what they are. I wonder if they purposefully made it thinner without acknowledgement?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Brad,

Your post says this Bies splitter will work on the PM 64A saw. The Bies site specifically says it does NOT. I have a 64A and have been searching for a replacement splitter like the Bies. Anyone have this saw and have one? And an overhead guard to replace the annoying stock guard/splitter combo?

Joanne, who is tired of bolting the guard/splitter on and off