Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Tank Source?

Replacement Tank Source?

Anyone have any ideas where I can find a 20 gallon (or so) horizontal air compressor tank?

Mine, which was my fathers, and my grandfathers before that, has a pin hole in the bottom and will not pressure up.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Where are you located ?? I have one here that I'll probably never use, complete with a pump .. just needs a motor.

And I think I have one as well.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

W.W.Grainger has replacement 20 gal tanks....
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3Z409

....but they're pretty expensive! I didn't give that much for my complete 2HP/20Gal Speedaire compressor NEW!...but I did buy it about 18 yrs ago!
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

I looked at Grainger before.. I'd be better off buying a cheap direct drive, unbolting the compressor head and smashing it with a sledge then mounting my hardware onto it.

I'm down here on the far south west side of Kentucky.. Far enough from anything that getting stuff off Craigslist is at least a 3 hour drive.

Have you considered using a propane tank?

Scott,

I have my spare across town at my shop. I will check the size and bring it back home today. And I will post some pictures, sizes, condition, etc.

I don't seem to remember it being really heavy, so shipping probably wouldn't be to much of an issue.

I know that when I was looking at compressors I had a hard time finding what I wanted new and at a price I was willing to pay.

I still use an old belt drive unit that has been rebuilt a few times, and wouldn't trade it for anything. It is so quiet that you can't hear it in the next room. And that is important.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

I have been repairing compressor tanks for 40 years + for farmers who neglect to drain them periodically. Just scrap the paint off the outside, polish it up and braze the hole shut with bronze rod and flux. Even soft solder will work.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Compressor tanks are ASME vessels these days. If you aren't a stamp holder you violate the ASME certification if you repair an ASME tank.

Even if it is a very old tank you still need to be careful....your talking about a bomb. A 20 gallon tank, if it ruptures, can totally destroy a two car garage. By totally destroy I mean it can blow out all four walls, it happened a few years ago here in the county where I live.

Your home owners insurance may not pay for any damage if you home or shop is destroyed/damaged and they determine that your air compressor tank was repaired improperly.

I am with Keith on this one, sounds like you got a ton of service from that compressor and need to replace it.
    Durning my 30 years as a firefighter, I witnessed a few tank explosions and they are not pretty especially if you are in the shop when that happens. Replace it with a new unit. The pinhole leak is trying to tell you something about the interior condition of the tank.
    Last edited by Don Selke; 08-28-2009 at 1:28 PM.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

I saw a picture somewhere of a blown out garage wall from an exploding air tank. I mean,it was GONE!! Do be careful about this. Do you know that air tanks have a life of something like 10 years,if I recall correctly?

They will last almost forever, if you drain the condensate from them regularly. They rust from the inside out.
    You can tell when they are about to rust thru, by running your hand over the painted bottom side and feel for little bumps that are caused by a pitted spot on the inside about to pop thru, sometimes its just welding spatter tho.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 08-28-2009 at 3:22 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Yes yes... Tanks explode.. Happened to my grandfather with a diff compressor in his old shop up in the long since gone church.

Which is why I'm looking for a replacement tank. I'd given the thought of brazing it a go.. In fact, have rods on hand.. I'd prefer not to do that though, even if the hole is dead center on the bottom and well away from seams.

There is NOTHING wrong with replacing the tank and continuing service on a fine compressor head and motor. Throwing them out without the faintest thought of servicing them quite frankly turns my stomach, and not just because of the sentimental value attached to them.

Way WAY too many things are built as throw away anymore and the fact that as a whole society is so blasted geared to the throw away mentality is disturbing.

Matt, thank you so much for the offer. If you do feel like parting with it and the shipping isn't too bad let me know how much you want for it.

I bought one from Surplus Center. www.surpluscenter.com