Thread: Building up muscles or how to remove Rub'n Buff

Building up muscles or how to remove Rub'n Buff

I'm just about to finish my first sign - used acrylic and layed out text with Rub'n Buff - on the tube it says when dry, gently buff with a soft cloth - lol - if I gently buff I'd probably be buffing 'til St. Neverendsday. I had to use some real pressure to get it off, got hot fingers and don't need to go to the Gym anymore

How are you removing it ? Anybody using buffing tools, or cutting masks ?

Andrea

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Andrea,

Try wiping off the excess with a cloth moistened with denatured alcohol. I've found it better to apply R&B, wait a minute or two and then buff. The longer it stays on the more difficult it is to buff off.

"3 in 1" oil works like a charm in diluting/melting the rub n buff, after that i use 3 in 1 mixed with a little bit of alcohol to clean and never had a problem
    Custom built PC Water Cooled Intel CoreI7 Gulftown 6Core CPU 3.597GHZ , 24GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 with triple 22" Monitors

*Epilog Mini 45W
    *Epilog Helix 24 60W
    *Epilog FiberMark 20W - Rotary Attachment
    *ULS V460 50W-Dual Head-Rotary Attachment-Vector Cutting Table
    *ULS VLS6.60 60W
    * New Hermes IS400IQ Rotary Engraver
    * New Hermes IS400TM Rotary Engraver
    *Vision 1624 Rotary

Turpentine is whats used in the paste , use it to remove excess
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    whatever you try, Andrea, make sure you test it first... as you know, acrylic is rather touchy about what kind of chemicals you can use on it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

all of the above are good, best thing is not to put too much on in one go and start buffing before it has time to set hard.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

It says right on the tube to thin with paint thinner, so that's the solvent - whether that affects your substrate is another discussion. Dan's right, test first on a scrap!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Andrea , rub n buff is expensive and a bit too liquid , try your local hobby/crafters shop or the hardware store and get pots of gilders paste , its harder , sticks better and a huge amt cheaper and comes in many more colours , there are around 15 shades of gold alone. Best way to apply it is with a toothbrush.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

The solvent Rodney mentioned is the right one but instead of turpentine you can use paint thinner or mineral spirits.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7