Ok so I am going to start with the hubs and Rod Sheridan has informed me they used elm (Thanks again Rod) because it has a good resistance to splitting. The hubs are some were around 10 to 12 inches in diameter and will have guite a few deep mortises to hold the spokes. Now I was wondeing how dry of a piece should I start with? If I leave it sit to dry as much as it can or have it kiln I would assume if it does not split it shouldn't split after it is done, or should I use a slightly "greener" piece because when the hub is done it will have steel bands shrunk fit around it. Woops never mind if I do that the bands will loosen as the wood dries and shrinks, right? Oh I also have access to my buddies 12" rotary table horizontal and vertical so spacing the mortises evenly around the hub should be pretty easy. If anyone has another Idea on the type of wood I should use I'd be glad to hear it as I have not found the pieces of elm I will need yet. Remember these will be completely decorative and my dad has informed me if I can turn out some good looking ones his buddy who owns a log home wants two to hang as chandiliers like you see in a lot of magazines.