Thread: First chair - any suggestions

First chair - any suggestions

I think, maybe, I might want to try and build a chair. I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice on a good type to start with. Would a Morris chair be a good candidate? Seems like one can certainly add or omit options, curves, tapers, complexity... to suit one's skill level. Anything else? Are there existing plans that would be a good place to start? Good books too? Finally (sorry for so many questions), are there essential tools I should consider for chair making. I have most basics (hand and power), but for example, do not have a spokeshave, spindle sander...

Oh, one more. A good type of wood for a first chair too - something forgiving enough and easier to work with. For example, I doubt Purple Heart is on this list!

Thanks in advance!

Dan,
    What a wide open question!

Since you mention a morris chair, are you looking to make an upholstered chair?

"Chair" covers a wide range of seating. If you a looking to build a chair to relax in, it would be quite different from one to eat at a table in. One for outdoor use would be quite different again.

Give us a closer approximation of what type of "chair" you are thinking of building and you will get a better answer.

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Hi Mike,

I could always use another chair around the house. I'm open to either a desk type chair or a larger chair that could have pillows/upholstery.

I suggest the Morris chair, Dan. You mentioned desk chair but.. I think all in all the Morris would be a better build. I came close to making an oak swivel desk chair to match a computer desk-hutch I made in the A & C style if you want to call it that. But.. I realized that oak chairs are not the most comfortable when you have a wife that sits by my computer several hours a day with her E-bay crochet bussiness.. face-book.. etc.

I ended up purchasing a very comfortable executive leather chair that I have trouble staying awake in when on the computer. Chairs are not my forte and hopefully you will get other suggestions and why. I built my first set of 4 about 2 years ago. They were simple (I thought) library type chairs to match a country style kitchen table. Wrong on simple IMO. The proto-type was a bear. I have been building carcasss work for 38 years now and have a great deal of confidence doing it but.. I have my doubts I will make another chair unless a Morris. Chair-makers have my utmost respect!

Once I had a proto-type down and after burning up some wood doing it.. the other 3 weren't that bad to do. But... numerous slats add up to a difficult finish job as it is difficult to work between them. So... a Morris IMO is somewhat of a simple build compared to other styles that aren't so straight-forward as back curves.. etc.. are conducive to comfort.

Good luck in your journey...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

I'd get Jeff Miller's book--it has a variety of chairs and has projects gearded toward the beginner.

I made this chair via Miller's book (my first chair).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=110801

I have Jeff Miller's book and it has some great ideas. A Morris chair is a big project, and for a 'first' really seems like a huge investment in time.

If you adept at turning at all, the shop stool in this month's Pop WW'ing seems like a good starting point as well.

Thanks everyone. Still on the fence, but I should kick myself into gear and just try something.