Thread: Veritas Apron Plane

Veritas Apron Plane

Does anyone have this plane?

Veritas Apron Plane 05P27.01

By specs, it looks to be comparable to the LN102. Both are fixed mouth low angle block planes.

I'm looking for a new LA block and think I might indulge in one of these. I'd pick the LN because of it's broad positive reviews, but one of the WW mags gave the Veritas low angle block (not the apron) high marks for minimal backlash, which is something I value...

Any thoughts appreciated.

Shawn, at one time I owned one of these (actually, at two times, I owned one of these!!) They are superb planes, and the only reason I sold them was that I came into the LN 102 really cheap in a group buy. Kinda wish I had held on to one of them. I think the LV has a little better feel, though I can't tell much difference in the function. Both are excellent planes.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I came into the LN 102 really cheap in a group buy.

Stealth gloat. Nicely done, John.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Stealth gloat. Nicely done, John.
    I've noticed John is sly like that .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I do have that plane and it is a great little plane indeed, it is super easy to set up and!
    Hightly recomended!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I've noticed John is sly like that .
    I have been accused of worse - MUCH worse

John-
    I found one of yr previous posts referring to a Veritas Low angle block plane. That's not the same as the Apron plane. The apron looks smaller with a fixed mouth. That's the one I'm eyeing.

I have both the LV LA block plane AND the LV Apron plane. I love them both, but find myself using the Apron plane most. They did a great job on designing these babies.

I had one and really liked it, BUT it was too small for my huge mitts. LV took it back without a peep. Replaced it with a low angle block, never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    John-
    I found one of yr previous posts referring to a Veritas Low angle block plane. That's not the same as the Apron plane. The apron looks smaller with a fixed mouth. That's the one I'm eyeing.
    Yep, I have had both of them, and just recently sold the second LA block plane. Had two of the Apron plane, as well. Previous comments are still applicable.

I no longer have the LA block because I have the LN 60.5, and just acquired another LN 102 to regrind to a high angle - making me now owning two LN 102s. How is that for a double stealth gloat!

The Apron plane is a great little plane.

Shawn, I don't much about planes, but in a very short while, I sure have owned - and sold - a bunch of them!

John

So, 'plane' and simple, what do you like about the the 102 vs the Veritas Apron, price notwithstanding?

Shawn, the apron plane was one of my first planes. At the time, my ability to sharpen and tune a plane was limited. The next plane I got was the LV block plane, and I began to learn a bit more about sharpening and tuning, and liked the adjustable mouth. Then I bought a group of planes that included the 102.

Honestly, at that point, I was enamored with the LN planes, and keeping the 102 was more about that than anything.

Afterward, I was able to get the 102 working great. Then, as a part of another purchase, I acquired another LV apron plane!! Already had the 102 set up, so I sold the other apron plane - for that reason only.

They are nearly identical in size and weight as I recall. The LN may be a little heavier because of the bronze. But, the roundness of the LV seemed to be more comfortable, and were I to make the choice between the two, not owning either, I would pick the LV apron plane.

In fact, I looked for one prior to getting the 102 I just bought. But, the 102 became available, so I bought it to set up high angle.

Is that a long enough answer???? You asked a lawyer to be "plane and simple" and you should know better If it can be said in 5 words, why waste the opportunity to exhaust the English language!!

I've had the LN 102 for more than a couple of years and find I use it on virtually every project I do.

With that said, planes are very personal tools and should be viewed as an extension of your hands. Feel in the hand/hands is as important as anything in determining if you use the plane or keep it as eye candy, to take off the shelf every so often, and maybe, vise up a piece of poplar and take a shaving or two, just so you can pull the blade and hone it.

Whichever tool/plane you choose (LN 102 or Veritas small apron are equal tools), take the time to learn and use it.