Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slow speed belt sander

slow speed sander

Has anyone tried out the 3M Trizact diamond belts and if so what is the verdict?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Contaminating your belt sander with steel dust may come back to bite you. If you haven't truly gotten rid of the steel dust and get it on your wooden projects,any water or water based stains,fillers,etc. will give you indelible blue (on oak) or brown spots that you will find a chore to remove.
    Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Maybe dedicated belts for wood vs. metal?

I have heard you'd want to be careful of grinding some metals together - aluminum and steel or iron? - because the combined filings can be explosive...

Quote Originally Posted by philip marcou View Post
    Has anyone tried out the 3M Trizact diamond belts and if so what is the verdict?

I have used them, and for some applications they are very good and the extra expense is worth it. The main problem with this product is that it is pressure sensitive. By that I mean, if you apply to much pressure when grinding you will strip the abrasive off of the belt and ruin it. It is not what I would call a general purpose abrasive. I wouldn’t bother with it unless you have a specific, high volume, application in a manufacturing environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Morley View Post
    I have used them, and for some applications they are very good and the extra expense is worth it. The main problem with this product is that it is pressure sensitive. By that I mean, if you apply to much pressure when grinding you will strip the abrasive off of the belt and ruin it. It is not what I would call a general purpose abrasive. I wouldn’t bother with it unless you have a specific, high volume, application in a manufacturing environment.
    Thanks Wayne. I was given pieces of belts by a merchant to use by hand or in the lathe , for metal working and found it to be disappointing, so possibly it only works well when used at high speeds as in a belt grinder or dedicated sanding machine.