Thread: Good figured wood to combine w/walnut in a coffee table top?

Good figured wood to combine w/walnut in a coffee table top?

I'm planning to make a coffee table with a modern style. I want to make the top of 3 pieces, 2 of walnut & 1 of the figured wood I'm seeking input on. Imagine a rectangle ~ 50" x 20", made of 3 boards, with the outer 2 being walnut (perhaps claro) ~7.25" wide, and the inner 1 of this figured wood, ~ 5.5" wide. What I'm looking for in this center board is something having a nice/interesting figure, with that figure being approximately the color of the walnut, against a background about the color of hard maple. The legs would be walnut. In addition to the colors, I'd like the middle wood to harmonize well with the walnut in terms of working/sanding/finishing characteristics. Any suggestions?

TIA

Dan

Looks like this should have gone in the design forum. Sorry about that. There doesn't seem to be a way for me to delete & repost, maybe a moderator can move it, if it's an issue.

Dan

Myrtle maybe?
    Use the fence Luke

Padouk and walnut... delicious combination. Also bubinga goes well with walnut and it can offer some pretty intense figure.
    David DeCristoforo

Dan,I took the liberty of moving this for you.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Spalted maple. I would do a field of figured wood (could use veneered MDF) framed with walnut rather than just gluing three boards together.
    Last edited by Sean Nagle; 08-29-2009 at 8:12 PM.

Thanks for the replies & suggestions. At the moment, I'm leaning toward zebrawood for the middle board (again, with black walnut for the outer 2). Any reason I'm overlooking that this combination might prove troublesome?

Thanks,

Dan

What about some croch walnut or claro walnut?!?