Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dewalt 20" scroll saw what do you think?

Dewalt 20" scroll saw what do you think?

Or should I consider some other brand?

Virgil

Blog Entries

Question scrollsaw evaluation...

Hi All,
    Yes, I too would like to know if the yellow saw is any good?
    Anyone care to take us to school on scrollsaws?
    Thanks in advance,
    be well,
    Walt

ps Is DW's stand a good accessory?
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

In that price range that is about the only saw available. It is a good saw, many are using it.
    Myself I still like my Delta saws, but they are no longer made and parts are getting hard to find I understand.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

Probably the top of the line in that price range as mentioned. I purchased one re-conditioned from a friend who is a DW rep here in Atlanta. He got it for me at his cost of $225. The saw is a knock-off of Ex-calibur and used to be made by them until until DW took the design to an off-shore manufacturer.

There is a large scroll-saw club here and I would say that 75% of the members run that saw and that includes some pro's. A large majority of the remaining % run higher dollar scroll saws. So... for the money I think it is the best bet over-all as it delivers better than anything in it's price range from my limited experience (I am a large carcass maker by choice but do some scrolling) with the saw. Accurate.. made well.. quiet and no vibration if you have it anchored properly.

Good luck....
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Probably the top of the line in that price range as mentioned. I purchased one re-conditioned from a friend who is a DW rep here in Atlanta. He got it for me at his cost of $225. The saw is a knock-off of Ex-calibur and used to be made by them until until DW took the design to an off-shore manufacturer.

There is a large scroll-saw club here and I would say that 75% of the members run that saw and that includes some pro's. A large majority of the remaining % run higher dollar scroll saws. So... for the money I think it is the best bet over-all as it delivers better than anything in it's price range from my limited experience (I am a large carcass maker by choice but do some scrolling) with the saw. Accurate.. made well.. quiet and no vibration if you have it anchored properly.

Good luck....

I am a carpenter by trade and I was looking for a scroll saw that would make details like brackets and the like.
    I don't mind spending more money it is gets better results.

Thanks for the input.

I will post my question in the scroll saw forum which I didn't notice.
    Virgil

My dad had a no-name scroll saw and he hated it because of the vibration. I had been lusting for a DW for some time, and I finally had a project that needed a scroll saw cut: a bank for my grandson. An unassailable reason!

I bought the saw; the stand and light were included in a special at Rockler. I love the saw, wouldn't be without the stand, and the light is doesn't weigh enough to be a good boat anchor.

No vibration; easy to use. I was cutting jigsaw puzzles within a couple of weeks.

Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Lukens View Post
    My dad had a no-name scroll saw and he hated it because of the vibration. I had been lusting for a DW for some time, and I finally had a project that needed a scroll saw cut: a bank for my grandson. An unassailable reason!

I bought the saw; the stand and light were included in a special at Rockler. I love the saw, wouldn't be without the stand, and the light is doesn't weigh enough to be a good boat anchor.

No vibration; easy to use. I was cutting jigsaw puzzles within a couple of weeks.

Love it.
    an excuse to buy!!!!

sounds great

I am looking a the same deal with stand and light at Woodcraft

how about thick pieces? maybe 2 inches or so?

Virgil

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil Johnson View Post
    an excuse to buy!!!!

sounds great

I am looking a the same deal with stand and light at Woodcraft

how about thick pieces? maybe 2 inches or so?

Virgil
    The DeWalt saw is GREAT!! I wont tell you about the Lowe's deal I got it for at $199 with stand

A scroll saw will cut 2" but understand they are made to do 1" or below.
    The stroke of the SS will not allow the sawdust escape in thick stock like it should.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    The DeWalt saw is GREAT!! I wont tell you about the Lowe's deal I got it for at $199 with stand

A scroll saw will cut 2" but understand they are made to do 1" or below.
    The stroke of the SS will not allow the sawdust escape in thick stock like it should.

Sounds good to me.
    I don't need to do thick stock that often and a band saw would be better.
    I was just curious.

What deal!
    The price at Lowes is now $567!
    But Woodcraft is offering a stand and light with a saw for $549 plus free shipping.

I may pop for that choice.

Virgil

I think it's the best value available; Excaliber is more and RBI is out of business now so there aren't many competitors. The stand is worth it - not sure what the light costs and many other lights would work fine. I bought mine used on CL - there seem to be a fair number available in bad times and I only had to look for a week or two before one turned up.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

Blog Entries
    Virgil, whay not just get it from Shiraz for $100 less? Maybe this isn't the same saw? I thought it was. I generally find Woodcraft higher on a lot of things; not always, but often. http://grizzly.com/products/DW788-78...nd-Light/H7414
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Price

The Grizzly price is very good. Every couple months, I also see one advertised on Craig's List for $300. I know several people who own the Dewalt 788 and they seem to be very satisfied.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Virgil, whay not just get it from Shiraz for $100 less? Maybe this isn't the same saw? I thought it was. I generally find Woodcraft higher on a lot of things; not always, but often. http://grizzly.com/products/DW788-78...nd-Light/H7414
    seems to be the same saw

i did not think to check grizzly for the price thanks
    i guess i am just used to thinking grizzly sells just grizzly

the extra $100 buys a lot of blades!!

thanks again

Virgil

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil Johnson View Post
    seems to be the same saw

i did not think to check grizzly for the price thanks
    i guess i am just used to thinking grizzly sells just grizzly

the extra $100 buys a lot of blades!!

thanks again

Virgil
    That's an excellent deal from Grizzly Virgil. It is the same saw as DW only makes one which is the DW 788. You see that designation in the Griz advertisement along with their stocking numbers. BTW.. if you want premium blades consider Flying Dutchman. You can find them by Googling Mike's Workshop. Give Mike a call as he knows scroll sawing and he carries premium blades in the Flying Dutchman.

BTW.. if you call ask questions as he will talk to you as long as you want to talk about scroll saws and blades.

Good luck...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

I got mine from Grizzly. It was (and still might be) the best deal out there. People have complained about the light that comes with that package not staying in position. I read somewhere to just tape a coat hanger to it to give it some added stiffness. I haven't had to do that to mine yet. But I don't use mine all that much.

Good luck.

-Brian