Thread: Another contender for a smoother under $200

Another contender for a smoother under $200

I haven't heard anything about the new smoother from Kunz. It is offered at Traditional Woodworker, here is a link. http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/product_info.php/cPath/2_299_480/products_id/4945

This is the Kunz 534-1 plus. Generally Kunz planes aren't that highly regarded. I can't personnally judge them as I do not own any Kunz products but this appears to be an offering above their regular line. Better casting, better machining, better adjuster, thicker blade. Can this be in response to the new Stanley line? The tote doesn't look comfortable, but if you owned one of these there is ample wood so you could shape it to your preference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks a lot better than their old stuff. I don't find it offensive,or cheap looking,just plain and functional. At least a fairly reasonable looking handle for a change! Get rid of the cadmium plated screw.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-29-2009 at 12:27 PM.

I guess the question is once you get that close to a LN or LV in cost why not go for it? The beauty of those LN and LV folks is that they really stand by their products -- you effectively get a lifetime warranty. To me if I'm not going for an old tool that peace of mind well worth the small price difference. And I like supporting companies who act that way!

I agree with Joel. Veritas No.4 is $199, same price for A2 or HSS blade, plus compatible with after market 2" blades from numerous manufacturer. One of the reasons I've been skeptical about those new planes with Norris adjuster (new Stanley premium #4 and this Kunz) is that you are stuck with stock blade unless plane blade manufacturers start producing compatible blade. For my Veritas LA/BU jack and smoother, I can live with being stuck with stock blades, simply because they are good and these planes are so versatile, I can deal with that. But for a regular bevel down smoother, I would like to have a little option to go for different blades for different tasks, and I have plenty of spare 2" blades of different qualities from different manufacturer.

Maybe in a few years from now, compatible blades will be available for those new planes from different manufacturers, but for now, I feel there is no after market option to suit preferences and task at hand. Besides, it's kind of scary to drop $200 on a plane by a manufacturer that produced and sold such crap for so long when another company like LV has a similar product for the same price, and you know they'll work with you if things go wonky down the road. I think I made a similar comment on a thread a few months back about new Stanley planes that being $20 less than LV #4 doesn't seem like such a great bargain. Being the same price certainly isn't a bargain at all to me.

Blade replacement availability is a good point. If the blade from Kunz is bad,you are stuck with it.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Sam Takeuchi View Post
    Besides, it's kind of scary to drop $200 on a plane by a manufacturer that produced and sold such crap for so long when another company like LV has a similar product for the same price, and you know they'll work with you if things go wonky down the road.
    Ditto, +++1

These guys are simply late to the game and missed the market for those who take the time to educate themselves about fine tools.

RN

I don't own any good quality planes that were purchased. I just have some wooden body planes that I have made for my own use. But if I were going to purchase a plane in the $150 - $200 range, I think with LN and LV having such a good reputation, it would be hard to sway me in another direction.

I would have to agree with George on that zinc or cadmium plated screw. It looks like something that was kind of thrown on as an afterthought.

-Jeff

Both LV & LN have worked diligently to build a good reputation. That alone is enough for me to pass on any of the new comers even if they were considerably cheaper.

For the same money it is a no-brainer to go with the LV.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

all in all this is a good thing. the more makers there are of planes that actually work the better. in the case of these newest players in this particular market (although some of the older manufacturers of production planes still around) they are floating their products at just below the price of LV and LN intentionally, to try to grab a bit of market share while keeping their profit margins high. the market will pretty quickly set the price at which these planes sell, and kunz, stanley, groz, woodriver et al will either adjust their price, drop out of the "premium" market or improve their product quality. in any case, the more engineers and designers trying to make a better plane the better things will be for all of us as woodworkers.