Thread: Flat bottom saw blade

Flat bottom saw blade

I want to cut flat botton grooves for splines and the like. What saw blade do you recommend that won't break the bank?

The local Woodcraft gets carbide resharpened for not too much money. I have had stock blades ground square for box joints.

Many rip blades are flat bottom. I use a Freud LM72. Around $50.

Blog Entries
    +1 on a Freud rip. Watch Amazon for sales. I just noticed today that my HD is now carrying the cheaper Freud lines in 24T FTG. About $30 but there isn't enough carbide to warrant a sharpening on them so . . . there's price and then there's cost.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For splines, any decent FTG ripper should work fine...Freud LM72, Infinity 010-024, Amana RB1020, DeWalt DW7642 or DW7124, CMT 201.024.10, etc. Amazon offers an inexpensive line called Kempston that I haven't tried yet, but Kempston does have an 24T FTG ripper for $30 shipped....considering the application, that's worth giving a try to if you don't want to spend much.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

You can also use one of the outside blades on a dado set, I usually use my Freud Ripping blade.
    Where did I put that?