Thread: Another first project (pic)

Arrow Another first project (pic)

This is my second project.About a year old. The cabinet is all red oak. Frame and panel I guess is the design. And the top is Hard maple. To finish I just rubbed on some Minwax Tung Oil finish I think it needs to be redone as it's looking a little dull and it looks like some of the oil eeked back out and left some kind of goop on the bottom of the doors. There seems to have been some movement with the Maple top as the edge joints are not as smooth as they were a year go. I can feel a slight ridge now.
    Some people think that the panels are oak plywood but they are not. I sawed the peices off the log about 1/2 inch and after it dried planed to 1/4 inch.

Thanks for having a look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James Giordano; 09-11-2004 at 9:29 PM.

Nice piece. I'm sure it won't take much work to repair, if you decide to do it.

Talking

Thanks Greg, I intend to sand it all down, clean off the goo and refinish it with something else. And maybe I'll replace the top w/red oak. Don't know that I am happy with the Maple. It seemed like a good idea at the time

Looks good James....what did you use to saw the door panels with? Bandsaw or sawmill? How wide are they?

Greg

Hi Greg, I cut the panels at work with a Corley line bar resaw. Being a sawyer I can sometimes get some choice cuts for myself. Though not so much lately as the company tends to like to keep the good stuff for themselves.

I cut a few pieces 12 to16' ft. long and 12" wide or wider. the doors are solid pieces about 9" wide and the sides and back are 3 pieces 7" glued edge to edge.

The re saw is (I think) a 36' bandsaw and if you think that is big you should see our 41' headsaw. The blades come new about 19" wide And they cost $1000 each.

With the headsaw I can saw logs up to 16' 6" and somewhere around 4' diameter. We generally don't get the that big except red oak and sometimes we get some pretty big cherry.

I'll see if I can get some pictures . Maybe some of the Creekers would like to have a look at them.

If you look at this picture you can see a headsaw being sharpened on the grinder. The pointy eared elf looking guy is the fileroom supervisor and my new boss as I have recently transgferred to this dept. The machine in the back is an automatic leveler.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now thats a BIG BS blade!!

Nice looking cabinet James!

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Hi James....as a hobby sawyer, I would love to see pics of that saw....I spent some time yesterday trying to saw a chunk of plum. I only use an Alaskan right now but a full-on bandmill would be nice

Greg