Thread: Saw storage in tool cabinet

Saw storage in tool cabinet

This past weekend I completed the saw storage portion of my tool cabinet. Back last year at this time I had installed my old stock of saws on the left side door panel. Along with them I had marking knives and some other assorted tools.

Here's a photo showing the old configuration on the left hand door panel.

Fast forward a couple months and add some saw acquisitions. I got a Wenzloff Small tenon saw for my birthday, a Graymercy Dovetail saw, a small jewelers coping saw, and I made a 12" bow saw. So I ditched the plastic handled Cobalt (Lowes), shelved the rusty old Warranted Superior Dovetail saw (I still plan to rehab that, but later), as well as my old Crown Gent's saw (which was as sharp as a bowling ball).

Another thing that prompted me to change the way I stored my saws was the way that my Dozuki and Dovetail saw were stored promoted rust. The wooden blocks that the blades sat in seemed to hold moisture. I had to keep a constant eye on them for fear of them getting rusty. That got old FAST.

So I took all my saws and laid them out on the empty door panel. Here's a shot of the layout.

Nothing was mounted on the right side panel. So I decided to move all the saws to that side and then use the left side for the rest of the tools I wanted to store (ANOTHER project).

These panels are really "sub panels" that fit inside the doors of my tool cabinet. The reason I made them this was was to avoid making my door panels look like Swiss cheese when I screwed up drilling holes. And I KNOW I would do that. So I just designed that problem out of the mix.

So after arriving at the ideal layout, I took a photo and proceeded to make tool holders for the saws that didn't have them already. I've always had this thing for the clever way that the tools in the Studley Tool Cabinet were locked in place. So I took that idea and made french fitted holders for the saws.

Here's a close up of the top portion

Here's a close up of the bottom

I wanted something that would secure the saws and stop them from bumping into one another when the door was swung open. But I wanted them to be easy to get out as well. Some like the jeweler's coping saw and flush cutting saw are held in by gravity. Others are held in by a set or retainers with a wooden toggle. Some of the wooden toggles even got a stop made so they wouldn't drop out of place. Like I said, I want them secure.

All of the holders were made from various pieces of scrap wood like walnut, claro walnut, pear, cherry and hickory. They all got a coat of Danish oil and were installed on the panel via screws from the rear side.

Also made a holder for my eggbeater drill and mounted this under my braces. The door panel to the plane till is perfect for this.

The best part of this project was that I pretty much used handtools for everything! The curves were cut with the bow saw, the parts shaped with a rasp and the holes were drilled with a brace or eggbeater. I did however, user my cordless drill to mount the holders to the door. It's sort of impossible to try to use a brace one handed!
    Last edited by Dominic Greco; 08-31-2009 at 8:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Dominic Greco

Excellent Dominic........good thinking...

I like the layout of the saws -- GOOD WORK!!

Nice work very classy.

Very nice Dominic. Makes me want to get moving on a new scheme for my saws too. Thanks.

Great job, Dominic!! Don't let the organizational mood get out of control - pretty soon, you will want to straighten up the entire shop!

Blog Entries
    Great looking unit.

I am still trying to figure out how to store all my stuff in a useable fashion.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That is a beautiful cabinet! I know this is an old thread, but I will revive it in the hope someone here can chime in with an answer to my question. It is regarding how to attach the wooden toggles for the handsaws so they can swing to their "open" and "close" position without coming loose over time. They appear to be simply held by a screw, but how would that work consistently without eventually wearing out the threads made in the wood and the toggles becoming loose? Is that not a concern?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Augusto Orosco View Post
    That is a beautiful cabinet! I know this is an old thread, but I will revive it in the hope someone here can chime in with an answer to my question. It is regarding how to attach the wooden toggles for the handsaws so they can swing to their "open" and "close" position without coming loose over time. They appear to be simply held by a screw, but how would that work consistently without eventually wearing out the threads made in the wood and the toggles becoming loose? Is that not a concern?
    They are held by a screw, but not held by the threads of the screw. Most wood screws will have a bit of shank above the threads. For a toggle they can be tightened down enough for a friction fit to the toggle, but the friction of the toggle turning will not turn the screw.

Sheet metal screws may look and act like wood screws, but they have threads formed all the way up to the head.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    They are held by a screw, but not held by the threads of the screw. Most wood screws will have a bit of shank above the threads. For a toggle they can be tightened down enough for a friction fit to the toggle, but the friction of the toggle turning will not turn the screw.

Sheet metal screws may look and act like wood screws, but they have threads formed all the way up to the head.

jtk
    That makes sense. Thank you so much, Jim!

very nice change to your cabinet Dominic. Good stuff.
    David

David, Dominic really hasn't posted anything since July of 2012 and hasn't visited since March 2015. I enjoyed his posts.

I know that I am not the only one who does not look at the dates on these posts. I can't be, right?
    David

There is so much good stuff here in older posts...

David,

Sorry, I wasn't trying to give you grief. Just noting that Dominic isn't active like he used to be.