Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Dust Collector?

Which Dust Collector?

Money is real tight, if it was your choice which one?

V-Systems 3000 3Hp- XXV030139 with Spun-Bond Filter
    -System Price: $1195.00 + 134 shipping
    2Hp Super Dust Gorilla System - XGK020105 Base System Price: $1380.00 - Shipping and Handling Not Included
    2Hp Super Dust Gorilla System - XGK020105 Base System Price: $1380.00
    1285 CFM @ 3" SP w/ Filter - Actual Working CFM

2hp Super Dust Gorilla 1380 + 134 shipping
    2Hp Super Dust Gorilla System - XGK020105 Base System Price: $1380.00 - Shipping and Handling Not Included
    1349 CFM @ 2.3" SP w/ Filter - Actual Working CFM

CV1800 RH Combo
    Note: CV 1800 = 18" diam. cyclone Combo Price = 1260.00 + 125.00 shipping
    G0440 2 HP Cyclone Dust Collector $995 no shipping
    Suction capacity: 1354 CFM @ 2.5" SP

G0441 3 HP Cyclone Dust Collector $1350 no shipping
    Suction capacity: 1654 CFM @ 2.0" SP
    Shawn Stennett

My favorite quote "Letz go in shop to fixz DaDa" My son

I thought you said money is real tight?

That's like having to choose between the CTS or the Deville because the Escalade sucks too much gas...

For most likely the majority of us here, the models you mention are HUGE upgrades...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Penn State

I just bought the Penn State 2.5HP Tempest. I really cannot say how it works because I haven't used it yet. I am mounting it this weekend. I will be another week or so before I get the duct work done. It is price at $995. It gets around 1400 CFM. It also have two .5 micron filters that comes with it. Great filtration!!! Check it out here:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TEMP1425S.html

Chuck

Thats funny David, you are right. I don't have all the money right now but take a long time to save and a long time stressing over which one is the right one, to spend that money on. I am trying to change my ways of buying multibles of things, like buying what will work for a while and upgrading and upgrading and in the end spending 2 or 3 times the money in the end. When I say money is tight, it is pretty tight, so I just don't want to spend any more money than I have to, to get the right machine.

I keep going back and forth between getting one of these models or just getting a canister style 2 or 3 hp and just building a seperator but my wife told me the other day that I better get the one I wanted because she did not want to hear me say that I wish i had gotten this one or that one afterwards. Appparently I do that a lot.
    Shawn Stennett

My favorite quote "Letz go in shop to fixz DaDa" My son

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Stennett View Post
    Money is real tight, if it was your choice which one?

V-Systems 3000 3Hp- XXV030139 with Spun-Bond Filter
    -System Price: $1195.00 + 134 shipping
    1285 CFM @ 3" SP w/ Filter - Actual Working CFM

2hp Super Dust Gorilla 1380 + 134 shipping
    1349 CFM @ 2.3" SP w/ Filter - Actual Working CFM

CV1800 RH Combo
    Note: CV 1800 = 18" diam. cyclone Combo Price = 1260.00 + 125.00 shipping

G0440 2 HP Cyclone Dust Collector $995 no shipping
    Suction capacity: 1354 CFM @ 2.5" SP

G0441 3 HP Cyclone Dust Collector $1350 no shipping

Suction capacity: 1654 CFM @ 2.0" SP
    Judging by how many times you listed the 2HP super dust gorilla it sounds like you made your choice!

Just kidding, I've been through the same exercise and I think when I invest I will go with a 2.5 or 3HP Oneida super dust gorilla (or the pro, I keep going back to the 3HP pro).

I'm going to exhaust outside so I should be able to save some money with no filter.

Brian

Shawn,
    What dust collection are you using now?
    I ask this because I made a
    Purchasing decision based on future needs and health, etc. I was making some commissioned furniture back in November/December. Being upset with the amount of fine particles that my current 1.5 hpcartridge filter DC was letting escape in the air, I pulled the trigger on the system that I had identified as my answer to my problems. Now, the manufacturer and model is inconsequential – suffice it to say that it was a noted brand, and a middle of the road model….ok, it had a 3hp motor, but that’s beside the point. I ordered the system, along with ducting.

O.K., I’m not made of money either, and this was an expense that with the system, ducting, and SHIPPING….was around $2,700. Nothing to sneeze at, fine particulate or not. After the shipment arrived, my wife was a little upset with how much room the boxes took up in the garage. After I got the thing installed and was about to fit up the ducting, she had a meltdown and ordered me to return the whole thing. Trying to reason with her and let her know that with return shipping and restocking fee, I would be losing 50% of my (our) investment. She let me know that in her view, I had wasted ALL of that investment.

It all was returned, and much to my chagrin, the company who said they would “work with me” only gave me credit for the ducting, as it had not been installed. Adding insult to injury, the future commissions I was promised, vanished with the economy. Guess I was counting my chickens before they hatched. I write all of this because after my DC debacle, I still needed better filtration. It was then I turned to Wynn Filters and ordered their retrofit kit with spun-Bond filter for my existing 1.5 hp roll-about DC. The result? For my small production/hobby shop, it was money well spent. On top of that, I felt like an idiot for not trying this alternative first, especially after all of the good press that Wynn gets. Now, you may also want to try Oneida’s Super Dust Deputy. It hooks up to an existing DC motor and gives you cyclonic action to boot.

Good luck, and save your money….you’ll need it.
    Maurice

Cv

Went with the CV and amd well pleased. Customer service can't be beat.
    I am thinking that 11 is a quiver full.....

Here is my advice: Call Oneida and talk to one of their sales reps. In a one-man shop, say 2 or 3 car garage, you would be fine with a 2 HP unit. The additional HP (2.5 or 3hp) will let you run more machinery at a time.

When is Oneida going to run their recession buster sales again? I think I'm going to get the V3000 system. I like the fact that it is supposed to be quiet. If I don't get one soon, I'll go wit the 3 HP Griz.

I also have the Clear Vue unit. It's great! I'm sure any of the ones you listed would work fine for a one man shop. Maurice is right. Check out your ducting layout and est the cost. I have one main line, with a total of 3 drops. Longest one is about 28', shortest is about 23', with the other in between. I used 6" PVC and a small section of 4" for my bandsaw, and the O/H guard at the TS. I spent about $350.00+- on ducting. I've heard some can find the spiral metal ducts at a local manufacturer for about what I paid for the PVC. Both can be hard to track down! Good luck! Watch for sales especially if you are saving for the purchase. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Shawn,

I have the Clearvue 1800 and I'm glad that I do. However each of the cyclones that you have listed has their own "fan curves", that is their own ability to perform the job under a particular "static load". In English, the machines that you list should not be bought on price alone because their output varies widely.You really need to start with a detailed floor plan of your equipment and the needed cfm for each machine in its planned location in your shop. Bill Pentz's web site can help you with that. Only after determining your actual loads can you then compare that to the fan curves of each manufacturer's cyclone. Another key decision you will need to make is whether to calculate your requirements based on the typical 450 cfm requirement of a table saw, for example, as most manufacturers do, or to base you needs on a higher cfm lever (per Bill Pentz) to catch all of the "fines". This approach will dramatically affect you choice of machine I think.

Money is real tight
    Just a heads up on cost.

I just bought a 2hp cyclone for my little shop a couple of weeks ago (G0440). The cost of the cyclone is one thing - the cost of plumbing it is another.

I figure that I'll have around $400-$500 in a PVC ducting system - including blast gates and incidentals when all is said and done. That's nearly 50% again the cost of the cyclone in my situation.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mitchell View Post
    The cost of the cyclone is one thing - the cost of plumbing it is another.
    Ditto on that. My cyclone was $1350, I'm up to about $850 in ductwork so far.

G0441

I have one in my 50x25 shop and could not be happier. Thought I would need 5HP, but this thing is more than enough even with 50 ft of 6" PVC between a machine and the DC.

When I run my Jet 22/44 sander, I have to leave a second 4" port open otherwise it stretches the conveyer belt--I need to replace it now.

I run two machines at a time regularly with this thing. The remote control works great.

I have the 1.5HP Oneida Component with external filter, I've had it about 5 or 6 years now.

No regrets, works great, the shop is dust free.

My brother installed the 2HP component in his shop a couple of years ago and he's very pleased.

I don't think you'll regret buying an Oneida, they only do one thing, and they do it well.....Rod.

15. super dust deputy

I had a Jet 1100 and hooked it direct to the SDD. I works well in my shop. I exhaust to the outside. Oneida served me well.
    If you already have a DC you might think about going that way or using a Phil Thein baffle.
    Harold