Thread: 230V Wiring: May I Use Romex?

230V Wiring: May I Use Romex?

Hi,

Would appreciate some help. I am installing my ClearVue 1800 cyclone with a Leeson 230V 5hp motor in my walkout basement hobby shop. I am comfortable installing the dedicated new circuit and will be using 10/3 with ground. The wire will run along the main triple joist of the house for about 40' total distance. Most of the other house wiring also runs along this joist. The current service entrance already has several dedicated 220V circuits (central air, stove, oven) all with NM or UF cable and no conduit. My last new circuits were installed about 10 years ago. The entire basement has a suspended ceiling and the wiring will be about 6" above the ceiling. My question is whether I can use type NM cable (Romex) or must I use a conduit to enclose the new cable. I was planning to enclose the cable in conduit for the few feet where the cable will come down from the ceiling as it connects to the motor. Either stupidly, or with foresight, I previously bought a length of Romex, but I decided to double check with you folks. EDIT: My entire basement is finished, with paneling over sheetrock covered studded walls. There are no surface mounted receptacles or wiring.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by Paul Wunder; 08-30-2009 at 7:00 PM. Reason: update info

Blog Entries
    Your local code should always be observed. Here, as long as it is above the rafters, open romex (of the appropriate gauge, etc.) is OK. It has to go down through the plate into the wall or into a surface box/conduit to come down the wall though.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Your local code should always be observed. Here, as long as it is above the rafters, open romex (of the appropriate gauge, etc.) is OK. It has to go down through the plate into the wall or into a surface box/conduit to come down the wall though.
    +1 here as well.

Glenn and Scott

Thanks Scott and Glenn for your quick reply to my "sanity check" question

As ling as you don't live in Chicago it should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    As ling as you don't live in Chicago it should be OK.
    If you don't know the reason for that comment, Chicago & it's suburbs are "pipeland" where cable type wiring methods are prohibited, everything must be in conduit,even residential.

On another note, a 240 volt motor does not require a neutral so using 10/3 NM is a waste, 10/2 will do quite well all one needs to do is reidentify the white conductor w/ black tape since it would be a "hot" conductor, although the OP said that already bought 10/3 it does not do much good.