Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: posted time stamps don't match clock why?

posted time stamps don't match clock why?

Why doesn't the posted time stamp of threads and replies match my computers clock? I have the Computer clock set to my cell phone's clock, so I assume that the computer clock is accurate. To the best of my estimation, when one of you post a reply, the time stamp is 10 minutes ahead of my computer clock. Does anybody else see this or is this just me?

Joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Joe, I never noticed that before. I am posting this mostly just to see what the time stamp reads in comparison to my computer clock. I set all my watch's/clocks etc. to KMOX radio. The "tone" at the top of the hour on KMOX is the national standard time, from the atomic clock it whatever it is they use for the "correct" time. I'll know in a second what's up!

Well, according to what is "supposed" to be the correct time by national standards, or whatever it is they call it, the time stamp on my last post was fast by about 14 minutes. I have no idea why this is, maybe Aaron knows? Kinda interesting.................I just never paid any attention to that before now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gerstenecker
    Well, according to what is "supposed" to be the correct time by national standards, or whatever it is they call it, the time stamp on my last post was fast by about 14 minutes. I have no idea why this is, maybe Aaron knows? Kinda interesting.................I just never paid any attention to that before now.
    Hey Kevin, just thought I'd let you know that your last two posts haven't been made yet, because it's only 9:40. That, or I can see into the future!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

It's been that way at least a couple of days

LOL at John! People have said that I am a man ahead of my time............I guess they were right!

Kevin, my posts read 14 minutes ahead of my computer clock as well.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Joe,

The clock on computers gets a little fast on occasion--in this case our server.
    I don't currently have the clock auto-synced to a government source, but when I find
    the time, I will add it.

You'll find the time is correct now.

_Aaron_
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    I don't seem to understand why 14 minutes in the scheme of things is all that important I only care what day my posts are made

For The Record!

Long ago we had all of our servers on our network configured to time sync with a major government server. One day the time server went down and caused a huge problem on our network and me a near heart attack from hundreds of phone calls and complaints. At that Time I decided that if our servers were a few minutes off I could live with it and accurate server time became a very low priority at HRO.

Ken, the reason why I was asking was because last week I had some problems logging onto to SMC. I was just curious to see if my computer clock and SMC time stamp had any bearing on my previous log-on problems.

My computers at work are all time-sync'ed for tracking of orders' purposes. All of our sales are time stamped with the date and time. If one of my computers is out of time-sync by more than two minutes I have problems.

That is why I asked.

Joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Joe,

That's interesting, I was unaware that any software could be keyed to a time-stamp. Since a web browser is all that is required to visit SMC we hadn't given much thought to the possibility of problems concerning time-keeping.

Keith:

The data base program I use for our order entry software is FoxPro.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

posted time stamps don't match clock why?

I've had numerous job in computers that depended heavly on correct time. My last job dealt with the software that controlled PPV, Movies, Subscriptions, switching channels, etc. at Cable Systems in many Sites around the world (so the hour stamp was also important).

Another job dealt with a real-time work order system for manufacturing - employees would "clock-in"/"clock-out" at the beginning/ending of different steps in the job. This information was used to charge the customer, build a data base for bidding, etc. Telephone systems, traffic, News stories, Process Control (i.e., processing oil, making beer, etc.) are also depended on time, both internal and external.

And it wasn't that long ago that you would buy a block of time, i.e., 20 hours per month, from AOL and the likes and anything over that, you would be charged extra (just like Cell Phone now-a-days). If the time-stamps and computer time was off, there would have been much trouble.

As I look back, at least 80% of the software jobs I've had dealt with time. Even back in the punch card days, some of the major charges for using computers were based on time, i.e., CPU usage and length of job.

Regards, Joe
    Last edited by Joseph N. Myers; 09-15-2004 at 2:57 PM. Reason: add ref to AOL
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

It was the best of times, it was the...

SawmillCreek never knows the time on your computer, so don't worry, a disparity in the two times won't cause any issues logging in.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator