Thread: "Router": Should I or shouldn't I ???

"Router": Should I or shouldn't I ???

I'm in the process of building a cabinet router table which I will also use as a shaper. So I've been looking to get a good, strong, reliable and not too expensive router. Something at least 3 HP. I've been searching online and I've come across the Triton TRC001. It's not widely available but I've found it at Woodcraft and Sommerfield's Tools. It seems to fit the bill, but, I was wondering if anyone has used this router before, and if so, how well does it work?
    George Rinehardt

George,
    Go here and ask the same question.

routerforums dot com

There are several Aussies there and they will have the scoop.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-31-2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Removed direct link to another forum site. Prohibited by TOS
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Rockler has the Freud FT3000VCE on sale right now. I was just at the Milwaukee, WI store today and they had it for 250 or so. It is a BEAST!!! I have one that I just put in a router table. Should fit the bill for ya.

Chuck

Troton TRC001

I own the TRC001 and just built a table for it this week end. I also installed a Router Raizer in it to adjust bit height from above table. I will be raising a half dozen panels with it this week end using a 3-1/2" bit. We'll see how it handles the load, all-be-it knotty pine.

Good luck Bob on the doors. Let me know how it works.
    George Rinehardt

Add up the money you are spending on the router, table, and fence. You may find that you can buy a pretty nice used shaper for the money. If you are raising panels and doing a lot of shaping on your table, a real shaper is so much more versatile. Decent shaper cutters really aren't more expensive than good router bits if you know where to shop, plus you get the flexibility to run things in reverse or upside down with a shaper.

I thought using a router table was the best thing ever (I have a DW621 with a solid height adjustment rod powering mine), until I got myself a small used shaper. It is just effortless to use and much quieter. My router table is fiddly, even with good bits and a solid fence. Now with the shaper I only use the router table if I need a profile I don't have a shaper cutter for, or if I need to route a pattern.
    Last edited by Josiah Bartlett; 09-02-2009 at 1:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carreiro View Post
    I own the TRC001 and just built a table for it this week end. I also installed a Router Raiser in it to adjust bit height from above table. I will be raising a half dozen panels with it this week end using a 3-1/2" bit. We'll see how it handles the load, all-be-it knotty pine.
    I also have the TRC001 and just about finished my new table for it. I didn't know the Router Raiser would work with the TRC001, do they list it or is it compatible with another router model that you need to specify when ordering it?

Brian Walter

Triton Router Raizer

Hi Brian,

Yes they have one for the Triton - the RZ-200 model. I bought mine from Peachtree. It retails for $89.95 and I had a 25% discount coupon bringing it to $67.46.

Although Peachtree's (faulty) advertizing does not list the Triton as a compatible router, the TRC001 is listed on the Router Raizer's box (by Router Techologies). Coincidently, it was on the Router Technology's web site that I learned the TRC001 was a compatible router, and was puzzled by the fact that Peachtree didn't list it. So I called Peachtree and the girl didn't know for sure, so she left the phone to retrieve a Router Raizer package and sure enough, the Triton TRC001 was listed right on it!

Your gonna love that thing. It's operates like butter! I cut off the leg of an allen wrench (matching the size of the spinner wrench included with the Router Raizer) and use it in a small cordless drill to make "quick adjustments." I will shortly be building a "holster" for the drill to mount on the side of the router table ready to "draw" up any finicky bit that dares challange my height requirements!

Good luck,
    Bob

If you can get your hands on a Porter Cable 3-1/4 HP variable speed routers, I highly recommend them.

I have owned and used the plunge model and fixed base one, and I currently use the fixed base unit in a router table with lift.

The collet grips and releases router bits with ease, and the motor sings and powers through any stock I send its way.

Prices arn't too bad if you get lucky. I found one of the PC routers on CL for $120 (barely used) which was a steal. The other one I got new on ebay for $300 shipped (still worth it).

I use them as a hobbyest though I know contractors that use them for production all the time because PC has a reputation when it comes to their routers.