Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jet 1220vs on/off switch replacement ?'s

Re: JET 1220vs switch

I had the same problem with my 1220vs, it happened not long after I got the lathe. I called the Rockler outlet where I purchased it and the guy there worked with me and the techs at JET (WFM Tool Group) and I had a new switch in no time. According to the tech, JET had a number of these switches failing (not shutting off), whether a bad batch or an under rated switch for the vs system and motor configuration, who knows.

Point is get a hold of JET or the place you bought it. They will in all likelihood send you a new switch ASAP.

Good Luck
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Timely thread! Mine lasted 8 months and now won't turn the lathe off. At least it's stuck in "on" position so I can control with a foot switch until I can get a replacement from Jet.

Update: I disconnected the power, removed the switch from the control box, sprayed some WD-40 in the switch, flipped it on/off a few times -- heard a "click" and now the switch works again. Still plan to call Jet but working for now. If you try this, remember WD-40 is flammable so I recommend you take it out of the control box before spraying -- if you spray in place, wait until the WD-40 solvent evaporates before applying power to the control box. When I was young and less experienced (I started to write "dumber", but that hasn't changed), I sprayed WD-40 in an auto a/c control slide switch and a spark caused a flash fire. Thankfully, no damage but I've since been very careful when I spray WD-40 around electrical components.
    Last edited by Jim McFarland; 09-05-2009 at 2:11 PM. Reason: possible work-around