Thread: 14 Foot Fireplace Mantel

14 Foot Fireplace Mantel

I have a customer that I have done a bunch of misc projects for and she has asked me to give her a price to build her a new fireplace mantel.

The mantel is currently 7 foot long and just goes a foot past each side of the fireplace brick. (see photo) She wants the new one built so that it extends the full length of the wall and has a glass door cabinet bookshelf on each side of the fireplace.

Its a pretty simple design. Basically a box with a piece of crown on the front. I can get 14' solid wood for the front but my question is how should I build the top of the mantel.. I was thinking ply but then I will have a joint. So the rough dimensions of the mantel would be 14' long 22" deep and 8" tall.

I am ok with building the built ins but the mantel has got me stumped. Maybe build two halves for the top and bottom of the mantel. Attach, then add the front trim..? I would like a little direction. Thank you..

I tried to include a before and after pic in sketchup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Schmaus; 09-02-2009 at 7:42 AM.

David, you could make the center section (the portion over the brick) proud of the remainder, and 3/4" higher/lower. That would eliminate the seams in an otherwise undisturbed flat surface.

I did something similar, except for the top in this -

I would think you could have the top a bit higher, and the same principal would work OK. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the reply John. I ran this by her over the phone and she is going to think about it but I think she is leaning towards one section or I should say one level.

I have attached a piece of the old mantel that I was able to take with me. This is the same wood that is through out the house and what I have to match..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Why can't you resaw some of that 14' wood and veneer over ply?

Quote Originally Posted by David Schmaus View Post
    ... what I have to match..
    "Match" is a scary word. The human eye can perceive millions of colors. If the homeowner demands a 100% match, you're in trouble. "Get close" is a much better spec.

If you can get lumber long enough, why resaw it and make veneer from it? Make a solid-wood top 14' long. But I like John Keeton's approach much better. It visually breaks up that aircraft-carrier top, and is better to build to boot.

I did a very similar mantle and cabinets a few years ago. The mantle itself is 13'-7". It is mostly just 4/4 solid stock with a second 4/4 front face to get the ~1-3/4" thickness. I was able come come in through a window just in front of the mantle so getting it in was no big deal. The "facade" of the wall is broken up into a sort of triptych with significant vertical elements breaking up the mass. The casework is plywood carcasses with solid wood faces. The bypass sliding doors are stile and rail with true divided lights. The facade of the fireplace is pretty much just applied, glued onto the previously painted brick with construction adhesive.

There is some discussion of the sliding doors in this thread:
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...=sliding+doors

Matching color is always a PITA, you cannot make too many samples. I always seem to resort to dyes, glazes and/or gel stains to match old finishes. The window trim and baseboards are original on my fireplace surround.

g'luck,
    -kg

I like John's idea

I have to agree with John. Prevent the problem before it becomes one. You might show her some photos. The same technique is being used in kitchens and baths. The other oddity that occurs is, a long straight line can dictate current and future furniture choices. A broken visual line allows more options to work with.

You might also consider and explain to your client what Jamie said, that match is nearly impossible in the best of circumstances. With time and the patina of the wood, not to mention that some of the older wood is old growth and impossible or illegal to harvest.

In my opinion they are giving good advice.
    Phil

David,

A friend of mine over in Lancaster, Ohio has an enormous supply of hardwoods in huge dimensions. Contact me at samyer@yahoo.com and I'll forward you his info.