Thread: Spindle Sander Arbors

Spindle Sander Arbors

I just got off the phone with JET ordering a new spindle for my newest tool a OVS-10 spindle sander. I was going to order the whole lot of them so I had any size that I needed.

I read the whole list of parts to the nice lady on the phone and she gave me the total of...............................$900. FOR THE SPINDLES. THE WHOLE NEW SANDER ONLY COSTS $1000. What gives?

Those of you that have one which size do you use most. Needless to say I didn't order them all.

I think I could have a machine shop make them for cheaper.

Spindles are expensive, add the rubber drums and you can quickly get a bad case of shock as you've found.

I'm not familiar with the JET, but it looks like it might be a morris taper. If that's a case you might be able to use a MT arbor blank as a starting point. That's what I used to make spindles for my Boice Crane OSS.

Machine work, if you have to sub it out, is not cheap. $75-$300 per hour is the going rate for one off work unless you have a friend who's a machinist. A spindle would probably be 2 hours or so by the time all the turning is done and the taper ground.

9" and 4 1/2" Rubber drums are available from Grizzly, supergrit and Freeman Supply. you might consider making a set of 4 1/2" spindles if you do flat work. The drums and abrasives are a lot cheaper and you can flip them to get full use out of the abrasives.

Mike

The arbors do have a taper at the bottom and are threaded. Is the morris taper the one with a taper then a flat?

Common spindle sizes used? Anyone....

It's like buying printers. They look pretty cheap until you start looking at what the ink costs!
    David DeCristoforo

5. <offtopic>
    That's why I only use laser printers... Sure, the toner is expensive up front, but it sure outlasts ink, hands down.
    </offtopic>

does that last post mean that I should have just kept hand sanding???

Grizzly, Delta interchanges.
    Maybe they will fit a Jet

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Lee View Post
    The arbors do have a taper at the bottom and are threaded. Is the morris taper the one with a taper then a flat?

Common spindle sizes used? Anyone....
    Sorry, the proper name is "morse", not "morris"... auto correct got me I guess.

I've never seen a JET spindle in person so I'm not sure exactly what type end you have on your spindles. Measure the spindle taper and compare it to the dimensions of the various MT sizes. Google should find a chart with the sizes. If you're lucky and it is a MT, you could use end mill holders, either with the appropriate size end mill size, or a blank as a starting point for your spindles. MT shanks come in two varieties, draw bar with a threaded hole in the end, and tang which look like the sides are squished in. Sounds like you need the draw bar type end.

Mike

Steve, I just order the smallest one from Grizzly. They are about 1/4 the price. Hopefully they will fit. It looks the same in the parts breakdown. Thanks for the idea.

Yer welcome. I have a friend that bought a used Delta and needed the 1/4 to fill the set.

We went to Griz's at Springfield and checked theirs compared to his Delta. It fit.

Luckily I remembered that. Lol