Thread: New definition of Anal Retentive

New definition of Anal Retentive

This is a little stand that I built for my new iPod out of some scrap Birdseye maple. The iPod docking station allows you to connect the iPod directly to your stereo’s auxiliary inputs and also keeps it charged.

Worried that I would stress the 30 pin dock connector, I designed the stand to align the iPod when I inserted into the dock, and to support it from the rear whenever I pushed on the buttons.

It’s certainly not fine furniture, or nearly as challenging as Dennis P’s beautiful knife box, but it was fun to make.The iPod itself is awesome; I now have my entire CD collection at my fingertips both in the house and in the shop. Now, what to do with the two Pioneer Elite 301 CD changers taking up space in the house?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

cool

I think that is awesome and very nice to look at too.

I know what you mean about the cd changers. all of my music is mp3 now and I have a cd changer and a bunch of cds just taking up space and collecting dust.It's funny how something so new can seem so primitive so fast.

Bruce ---
    You mention recording CDs on to your ipod. I haven't paid much attention, but I thought Apple had a proprietary format (not MP3) in the ipod which allows the user to only buy and play music from Apple's store. So how do you go about copying CDs to the thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    Bruce ---
    You mention recording CDs on to your ipod. I haven't paid much attention, but I thought Apple had a proprietary format (not MP3) in the ipod which allows the user to only buy and play music from Apple's store. So how do you go about copying CDs to the thing?
    Jamie, that is definitely not true. I have yet to buy any music from the online music stores. The iPod supports the following formats; AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 (32 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible, AIFF, Apple Lossless and WAV.

I have heard that the new Sony player uses their own proprietary format.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by James Giordano
    I know what you mean about the cd changers. all of my music is mp3 now and I have a cd changer and a bunch of cds just taking up space and collecting dust.It's funny how something so new can seem so primitive so fast.
    James, when I bought the two Pioneer changers a few years ago, I thought that I was in Nirvana. To have my whole CD collection loaded into these machines never having to touch them again – it couldn’t get any better that that! But it did….the mp3 revolution is here to stay – for awhile anyway.

Thanks for the nice comments

Andy Rooney

Now, that's a really nice stand, Bruce, and appropriate for a woodworker, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice. 10 yard penalty for stealth gloating about the new iPod. Funny sign next to your new toy also.

Oh yeah, I like your Moose Hat avatar, really shows character.

Kevin

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Yes Bruce that is very AR. but also a very fine Job.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Bruce...nice job and worry not....there are plenty anti-technos out there who refuse to give up their CD's (Heck, I still have almost 1000 LP's!). You can sell the changers on ebay for a pretty good price. I have 4 complete stereo systems in the house and will probably never use the MP3 format. We love having the CD's and albums displayed.