Thread: Cleaning an old tool

Cleaning an old tool

I recently picked up an old Delta lathe that has decades of pitch, resin, and sawdust caked on it.

I've been trying to clean it with Simple Green and a scouring pad, but it's taking a looooong time. The resin seems to be stuck to the paint better than the paint is stuck to the metal, because if I try scraping it off (with plastic), the paint comes off as well.

Any brilliant suggestions for making this go faster?

Try a bit/blade cleaner like the stuff from the company that makes T-9. It just dissolves pine resin off my saw blade in seconds.

Bit and Blade cleaner will remove paint too I believe. At least its removed the printing on many of my blades.

I had a similar issue on the Parks planer I have. I first had to chip it off with a screw driver then repeated applications of Super Clean. But Super Clean removes paint really nicely as well. It will also burn your skin--been there done that.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm just going to have to re-paint this lathe. Which is OK -- the more time I spend with her, the more I want to pretty her up.

Then I highly recommend Super Clean. Its relatively cheap, strong, and works great. I usually get it either at an auto parts store or Wal-Mart.

I built a electrolysis tub for my old delta out of 2x12's. Really the only way to get it clean.

oven cleaner

Try oven cleaner, but you will have to rinse with water. Dry the best you can then spray with WD40, followed with machine oil.

If your going to repaint it, take it apart and use the Superclean as mentioned above. That photos of each step so you know how to put it back and put parts for each section in baggies and mark them.

Get some scotch bite pads and a wire well and go for it.