Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever lost your creativity?

Have you ever lost your creativity?

Does it ever happen to you?
    It has been a week that I can't think of any thing to do or build in my shop, just before Christmas I was full of ideas ,little things to make in fact I made a side table,a coffee table ,a trinket box,and a few small decorations for our Christmas tree but now I feel like the little creativity I had is not there.
    Mind you it is cold up here in the cottage country and has been snowing off and on for the past 2 weeks
    It could be the cold weather is getting to me,just to give you an idea where I live here's a pic of my little shop:

winter in Peterborough.jpg

Dear Ken,

Yes.

Sincerely,
    Brian

PS. I experience some wonderful times of creativity followed by even months of woodworking zombi-hood. I used to get down on myself when I would experience gaps in my shop work. I have gradually realized that I always come back to creativity again. My Sawmill Creek friends see me trying new things at a good clip, then see me going a couple of months when I just join in with an occasional joke - and no woodworking. Usually it has to do with the normal stresses of life and work, the abnormal stresses that come along, the changing of seasonal light and temperature, and whether I found a really great old TV series on Netflix.

So go easy on yourself, kick back, and look forward to the next cycle of creative productivity.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

It's Normal

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    Does it ever happen to you?
    It has been a week that I can't think of any thing to do or build in my shop, just before Christmas I was full of ideas ,little things to make in fact I made a side table,a coffee table ,a trinket box,and a few small decorations for our Christmas tree but now I feel like the little creativity I had is not there.
    Mind you it is cold up here in the cottage country and has been snowing off and on for the past 2 weeks
    It could be the cold weather is getting to me,just to give you an idea where I live here's a pic of my little shop:

winter in Peterborough.jpg
    Ken,

I have several hobbies that I've held on to over the years, woodworking, photography, hunting/shooting, gardening to name just a few. Throughout my 55 years my interest and creativity within each one has ebbed and flowed, and seems to cycle between each one. I think it's a normal thing for most of us. Sometimes it just takes a new tool to spur yourself back into the swing of things. I'm sure you'll come around again soon.

Thank you both,I recently retired and this is all new to me,I have always had a list of things to build specially projects I put off until retirement ,what's scary is anything I choose to do I loose interest right away,nothing seems to get my juices flowing,although I know deep in my heart this only temporary but your replies helped me realize I'm not alone.
    Thank you .
    Ken.

Have you ever lost your creativity?

Do mountains tumble? Do lobsters molt? Does ice go dry? Does the Ice Man cometh? Does pride goeth? Does paint peel? ...

And so goes the creativity of creative people - woodworkers included. All will be well Ken - just enjoy the quiet time.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

When you lose your creativity, buy a new peice of machinery, spend a long time getting to know it till creativity come back.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Blog Entries
    I was going to answer differently based purely on the title alone. I don't necessarily view a time without a project to do as a lack of creativity.

Creativity to me comes and goes. When my job doesn't allow much creativity, it tends to come out at home. When I am stumped for creativity in composing, I often regain it in wood and vice versa. Sometimes just daydreaming while doing something zen (like washing dishes) can re-spark something inside. I was practicing hand cutting dovetails yesterday. Today these dovetails became a box. Sometimes just doing something can restart the creative process. So can project avoidance. I need to swap out the kitchen faucet. I hate plumbing, so I have been creative in finding excuses to put it off until tomorrow.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I can't lose something I don't have. I enjoy woodworking, and the accompanying creativity, but mostly build other peoples designs, with little personal tweaks.
    lm not especially creative.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 12-29-2012 at 7:02 PM.
    Paul

Sounds like you are talking about interest, rather than creativity to me. You just retired, and have more time, so you don't need to hurry projects. It's a hobby, enjoy it when you feel like it. Take a break from it when you don't.

Rick Potter

Ken,

I retired nearly two years ago. What I find is that I take interest in my woodworking in spells. I will go for a couple months where I am in the shop daily and some of those days are long. Then I will reach a point where I lose interest and don't go into the shop for a couple weeks. Then something will tweak my interest again and I'm back in the shop.

Right now I have been struggling with how to safely, accurately and repetitively cut some very small wood parts and I have designed and test built some special jigs to do it. I'm still struggling with it. In this mode, I will often wrestle with the design in my head and not go near the shop until I have 2 or 3 new ideas or techniques to build/try.

Don't get discouraged.......occasional loss of interest is not unusual.....it varies for all of us individually.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-30-2012 at 1:11 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, I retired in 08. The first three years I spent being a caregiver to my wife. After she passed, I would spend long periods of time just sitting on my porch and reading. I would not go near my shop for months. I am beginning to spend more time in the shop. Retirement is hard. You should have gotten a mentor to help you through this phase. I am a turner, so we don't need much creativity. It will come back. Now that the holiday season is over, I am bursting with new idea to try. Best of luck.

My advice is to expand into new areas. For example, if you've never done veneering, learn veneering. That will open up all kind of opportunities for you to do new things. Like many new skills, veneering takes a long time to get good at so you can do many projects and see improvement with each one.

And if you're married, just ask your wife what she wants. My wife has a "to do" list for me that will keep me busy for years. I have to put off her stuff so I can do things I want to do!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

When I retired years ago I started making cabinets for my shop, all of them looked the same but every cabinet had a different type of internal construction.. was practicing different joints... i.e. half-laps, mortise/tenon, sliding dovetails, etc... wanted very badly to get them all done...
    Suddenly, one day after about two months, it was a beautiful WARM February day and was on one of the last cabinets and thinking I can get it done today but it was very nice outside....
    Looking out the window I realized that I had the rest of my retirement to finish the cabinet..... I forced myself to put down the tools, went into the house, poured a glass of wine and went outside and sat on the deck enjoying the weather.....
    Since then I take retirement as it comes... one day at a time and enjoying it...
    Always thought that woodworking would be my "stay busy" activity in retirement, but I may spend months without doing any woodworking and then I may spend months doing nothing but woodworking...
    Take your retirement for what it is... enjoy woodworking, not doing anything, relaxing, watching it snow while in your shop doing something or nothing...
    Today was in shop and it was snowing outside.... listened to music & read 3 days worth of newspapers and enjoyed it...
    Last edited by Ed Aumiller; 12-29-2012 at 10:14 PM.

I too feel a little burned out after the holidays doing several gift projects under deadlines, and rough turning a lot of bowls after Sandy. Just take a break and let it come back naturally.

Woodworking isn't a 24hr virus. It's a terminal condition. Your creativity or inspiration may be in remission, but it'll come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    When I retired years ago I started making cabinets for my shop, all of them looked the same but every cabinet had a different type of internal construction.. was practicing different joints... i.e. half-laps, mortise/tenon, sliding dovetails, etc... wanted very badly to get them all done...
    Suddenly, one day after about two months, it was a beautiful WARM February day and was on one of the last cabinets and thinking I can get it done today but it was very nice outside....
    Looking out the window I realized that I had the rest of my retirement to finish the cabinet..... I forced myself to put down the tools, went into the house, poured a glass of wine and went outside and sat on the deck enjoying the weather.....
    Since then I take retirement as it comes... one day at a time and enjoying it...
    Always thought that woodworking would be my "stay busy" activity in retirement, but I may spend months without doing any woodworking and then I may spend months doing nothing but woodworking...
    Take your retirement for what it is... enjoy woodworking, not doing anything, relaxing, watching it snow while in your shop doing something or nothing...
    Today was in shop and it was snowing outside.... listened to music & read 3 days worth of newspapers and enjoyed it...
    You are a wise man Mr. Aumiller notworthy.gif
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge